10 May 2017

the star quilt


Not long before his second birthday Beren began climbing out of his cot and refusing to be put back in for naps. We moved him into a little toddler-sized trundle bed and then most recently the bottom of a lovely pre-loved bunk bed. He has taken to it happily - and I think especially likes having his big brother so close above him. It seemed a perfect birthday gift to make him his very own big-boy-bed sized quilt. I love the simplicity of big sawtooth star blocks; I made these with bright coloured cottons from my stash - they look so cheery against the creamy white and match beautifully with the screen-printed ABC wall hanging my aunty made for my siblings and I when we were little. Of course my favourite part is the hand-quilting at the end; all the slightly imperfect stitches and seams, no two stars are alike. My mum gave him the teepee tent as a birthday gift - so I folded up the quilt and hid it inside for him to discover - when he did he smiled and pointed "star! star!" May it be used to adorn his bed, construct forts, taken camping, laid out to picnic with, keep him warm and snug for many years to come... x

2 comments:

  1. It's a lovely big boy quilt and something he can enjoy for so many years to come. I hope you are getting enough rest now that you have 3 boys (make it 4) in your household ;-) xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.