5 Mar 2015

to nest and sew

I am nearing thirty-six weeks and feeling so very full of child! The due date no longer seems a mile away, but actually rather soon. I do not want to hurry along these next weeks of preparation - nesting - readying my home, body, heart for a new season of newborn haze and winter hibernating... aside from the myriad of book-keeping, cleaning and cooking tasks, is my wish list of things to sew before this sweet babe arrives (when I am sure my sewing machine will lie dormant for some time in the corner of the spare room).

Some recent makes:
I love a good U-shape pillow, especially when breastfeeding but I lament how limited options are for cases. I made this simple case with some lush double gauze cotton by nani iro, and to my delight had just enough left over to fashion a cover for a hot water bottle - another postpartum essential item to soothe those after birth pangs...

Then there's a new pillow case for the tired looking reading cushion in Reu's room - sewn from folksy printed linen...

A stash of washable nursing pads in pure linen and repurposed cotton pre fold nappies...

A peg bag to remedy the cumbersome bending down for pegs in the rusty tin scenario...

And finally some tiny booties and bibs for the babe, just because...

Still on the list (and possibly never to be complete/begun): a linen hospital bag, a soft fleece sleeping sack for babe, linen pot holders for the kitchen, drawstring bags for carrying nappies and toys...

xx

5 comments:

  1. Love reading and seeing your handiworks, Em.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one blessed baby. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing all of your handiwork. Where do you buy your linen from, Emily? I'm a very novice sewer - is it a suitable fabric? I like it so much more than the cheap and nasty cotton prints that you get in mainstream stores.
    Jenn Unger x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make such lovely things! It sounds like such an interesting time as you prepare for your new baby's arrival. I hope to experience that too someday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Nani Iro fabric is dreamy :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.