17 Apr 2014

eastertide

is my very favourite time of all the year...

my fondest memories - of childhoods spent worshipping the rising Son as the day dawned over the ocean with bare feet, of elaborate egg hunts orchestrated by my dad in the bush, of youths spent doubting and wondering, of celebrating alone on a beach and leaving messages in stone on the sand, of leading reflective services by candlelight, of cradling my newborn son in the french countryside, of dyeing farm-grown eggs with three small children, of rainy autumns and sunny springs...

though we each come with different beliefs and memories... we are welcome to the table - welcome to be blessed, welcome to celebrate life, new beginnings, loving grace in Him.

and so I bake hot cross buns and fill the air with spices, pen round shapes while my child sleeps, read seasoned words like "My peace I give you, My peace I leave you", hum taize chants, decide to take a long overdue technology break to cradle warm cups of chai, knit, pack boxes, walk solitary, pray softly...

may the holiday bring much joy and tenderness to you too.

.
.

Hot Cross Buns
(unapologetically gluten free - deliciously moist and fragrant)

for the buns:
250ml warm milk
1 sachet dried yeast (7g)
3 tablespoons honey
1 egg
50g melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla paste
2 1/2 cups plain gluten free flour
(I mix my own blend with 1 cup rice flour, 1 cup potato flour and 1/2 cup arrowroot flour)
1/2 cup almond meal
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup dried raisins
1/2 cup chopped candied citrus peel
__________
for the crosses:
1 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons GF flour
1/4 cup water
__________
for the glaze:
50g butter
1 tablespoon honey
generous pinch ground cinnamon

Prepare the buns by mixing yeast and honey into a small bowl with the warm milk - let sit for 5 minutes. Meanwhile combine flours, almond and spice in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl whisk together egg, butter and vanilla - slowly whisk in yeasty milk mixture. Pour wet mixture into flours and stir to combine with a wooden spoon - the texture should be smooth and thick but not stiff enough to knead with your hands. Grease 12-muffin tins with melted butter. Spoon mixture out evenly into tin. cover and let rise for about 30 minutes in a warm place.

Preheat oven to 200'c. Make crosses by stirring butter, flour and water together until you have a smooth and thick paste - fill a piping bag and carefully ice crosses on the top of the risen buns. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. 

Meanwhile prepare the glaze by bringing butter, honey and cinnamon to boil in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and brush over hot buns as soon as they come out of the oven. Enjoy warm with lashings of butter of course!

2 comments:

  1. I think I want to make some of these... although they will not turn out like your wonderful cooking skills methinks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. I love Eastertide also. I have bookmarked (well pinned actually) your hot cross bun recipe for next year. I also hope to dye eggs naturally next year. My little guy was just too small this year but I think I shall do it with some girlfriends in the future. I love your description of 'worshipping the rising Son as the day dawned over the ocean with bare feet'. This sounds invigorating and inspiring! I have fond memories of a mountain top dawn service, but never on the beach. I must do this in the future too.

    Although Easter here coincides with the weather cooling down and the days darkening, (unlike the new life of spring so anticipated by the northern hemisphere), I still love this time of year. I find it a relief after the heat of Brisbane summers, and if anything, I feel like the world around me has a 'spring' in it's step as some trees blossom and others rest from the heat. Cool weather meals snuggling with loved ones and sharing soup with friends.

    I SO appreciated living through the liturgical year during our time in Canada. It was fairly new to me at the time as we come from an evangelical protestant church background which, sadly, has very little to do with this, though we are slowly bringing people around to the idea. Since arriving home in Australia I am really passionate about finding ways to work that liturgy in to life here. I know churches here do this well, it just seems that so much of the church calendar fits better with the cycle of seasons in the Northern hemisphere - for example Advent represents the coming of light, and it comes at the darkest time of the year - very fitting. I am wondering if you have any particularly good resources on this point or where you find your inspiration Emily?

    Thank you for indulging this very long comment. Please don't feel you have to publish it if you feel it is out of place.
    Grace and Peace xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.