29 Aug 2013

outdoor play

Outdoor play is where it's at for our boy. as soon as he could crawl he was crawling for the open door. as soon he as he could walk, he was running out of it. he is absolutely happiest out in the fresh air even when its bone chilling cold - needless to say appropriate layers of clothing are applied, but I have this theory that small people just do not feel the cool as we old folks do!

Each morning we go out for a walk followed by a long-play in one of the nearby parks. We take a soccer ball and kick it about... we look for birds and collect leaves and flowers. Sometimes we take lunch with us too. 

I love watching Reuben explore and fumble and kick, rustle and pinch with those developing fine motor skills of his.  I love that every day presents itself with unique circumstances, chance meetings with local babes, different birds and skies to gaze at. 

His outdoor play is helping me rediscover my own. Allowing myself to let go of the to-do-lists, chores and needs of the day and just laze out in the sun on the grass for forty-five minutes... fill up a bucket with soapy bubbles... make a great big mess with finger paint and cardboard...  chase a curly-haired munchkin for the sheer of delight of the breathy laughter that ensues.

How do you like to play outdoors I wonder? 


(See my first post on toddler play here)

3 comments:

  1. Oh I have been craving this lately! We've been spending so much time indoors working on the house... My boys LOVE and need to be outside, and I forget sometimes how much I need it too. If only to sit and soak up the sunshine. Thank you for this extra reminder :) xoxo
    ps. love the new banner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE children because they make me see the joy in the every day things; the simple things of life that we can sometimes take for granted. You have a gift from your son to enjoy your days as they come. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great photo that bluey one is...'let the artist be unleashed' in blue...
    Outdoor play is where it's at for sure! It's great that he's teaching you so many things without knowing it! I've heard children tend to do that;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.