28 Jul 2013

Milka's Garden

I am a firm believer of exploring one's neighbourhood... that you can live anywhere really, and still find hidden treasures - sights and sounds and faces that warm the heart and nourish the soul. Milka's garden is a bit like that. Only a short walk up our road we are met by a untidy looking painted sign "PLANTS FOR SALE" with a few limp looking balloons wavering in the wind. An open gate leads you into the miraculous world that is Milka's garden.... hundreds, thousands perhaps of carefully tended, potted plants... succulents of every shape and colour; hanging plants; lilies, orchids... plants growing in tea cups, bowls, rubber shoes... Milka's thick accent and brilliant dyed red hair seems to blend in beautifully with her exotic, luscious growing things... Reuben coos and waves and flaps his arms. In so many ways her garden reminds me of the beautiful picture book by Gene Zion "The Plant Sitter" - where a young boy takes on the ambitious project of having a house sitting service for his friends and neighbours only to find he is left with too many plants to look after (and they end up taking over his house!) We take a little of Milka's garden home with us to plant in the big earthen pot by the front path... I breathe deeply and prepare for a great big mess and find, to my joy, that actually Reu is very good at digging... planting... watering... and making a great big mess!  

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful plants. How nice to have such a 'gem' close by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Penny, it is very nice to find places like these!

      Delete
  2. A similar place 'saved' me when I lived in Seville. A small, almost circular garden made against the city wall. Plants hung from every ledge, ferns uncurled silently in well-watered corners, cats stretched and slept on fragrant heaps of compost. I took my little ones there whenever we could face the walk through the heat; it was an oasis for us in what was a real desert city. Your post was a lovely reminder. Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely to have a neighbour with fiery red hair who sells pots of plants!
    Keeps life colourful and quirky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Plant Sitter!! Dreaming of adding more green to my place. Maybe I should pay Milka a visit next time I'm in the 'hood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you remembered The Plant Sitter too :)

      Delete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.