18 Jun 2013

the good life

while we were in melbourne a few weeks ago we visited two special farms - the first (and the feature of this here blog - is the Collingwood Children's Farm... such a delightful place - it is a farm in the centre of the city spanning over 7 hectares of land and surrounded by leafy bushland. we wandered the grounds and met the resident chooks, goats, ducks, horses, donkeys and pigs, I had a go milking the cow (surprisingly therapeutic) and felt inspired by the ramble of edible fruits and vegetables, native plants, flowers surrounding it...

I guess I can't go to a place like this without remembering the five or so years we spent on a bushland farm with my dad on weekends and holidays when I was a child. I've been thinking about those times a lot lately... that and Alex and I feel so compelled by the desire to live thoughtfully and sustainably; by places like these - who tread the earth gently, who foster connection between the city and the land; the child and the meat and leafy greens on her dinner plate...

There's so much more I want to say and share but for now I think it will suffice to say... if you ever visit Melbourne city, this is a wonderful place to loose yourself in. That and watching your toddler chase chickens is wonderful fun... 

2 comments:

  1. SPEAKING of the emerging gardens (farms) in the cities! Brillianteh. Babies and chickens would indeed constitute the good life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! its a wonderful movement :) babies need chickens (and vice versa) I think!

      Delete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.