7 Jun 2013

golden hour








Its strange, today marks one week we have been back home in Sydney (and two on Australian soil) and  part of me feels like I never left, and part of me feels a bit odd and misplaced. We are adjusting to the time zone, and are beginning to get on top of our to-do list... the early winter weather is overwhelming pleasant and the afternoons are dazzled with golden sunshine. We swish and kick up the fallen leaves. We rediscover boxes of packed away things, and are amazed at how fresh (and ruthless) eyes that haven't seen things for two years are! We have attended playgroup with local mums and babes for the first time and checked out books from the library. We have eaten the softest lebanese flat bread and baked shortbread with sour cherries, walnut brownies, eggplant and lamb moussaka in my parents beautiful new kitchen. One afternoon I hear little fingers tapping the piano keys alongside the notes of his adoring mamie... Right now, I am sitting outside, its 8am and warm (by Paris morning standards), accompanied by a cup of earl grey and a little boy playing with the clothes pegs. Beautiful ritual, everydayness. Happy Friday friends xx

~ sour cherry shortbread ~

180g butter
1 cup caster sugar23
1 cups plain flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon ground vanilla bean (or essence)
1/2 cup pitted dried sour cherries

In a large bowl work butter into sugar, flour and salt until you have a course looking meal. work in vanilla, cherries and egg and shape into a ball (adding a little chilled water if you need it or extra flour if its too sticky). wrap dough in foil or plastic-cling-wrap and chill in the fridge for 1 hour. when ready to bake preheat your oven to 180'c. Roll dough onto a floured surface and cut at 1 cm thickness in shapes as desired. Arrange on a paper-lined tray and bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly golden being careful not to overcook (and so brown). You might need to rotate the tray half way through to prevent this. 

4 comments:

  1. love how your little one's hair matches the fall leaves. Beautiful photos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home!

    What a beautiful image you paint of Reu playing the piano beside his Mamie.

    (ps I second Georgia's comment above, it was my first thought).

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my heart is swelling for you. being home. and comfortable. and basking in the sunlight. I hope this new beginning is fresh and wonderful! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm travelling in the Eastern Seaboard (USA) where I'm feeling the effects of Tropical Storm Andrea but wanted to welcome you back to your home in Australia. The Fall colours are gorgeous and your ritual sounds lovely. Your little Reu's carrot top matches the season's foliage. I'm sure his eyes are open in wonder at all the new things he is seeing. Hugs. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.