1 Mar 2013

keeping warm



my latest knitting endeavours have been prompted by need - my, its still so chilly (as I type this, about 1 degree celsius)... for the little'un I knitted two aviatrix hats for winter outdoorsing - we got a month or two out of the grey one before it was really far too snug, and the dark blue one is still a bit roomy - though nothing an extra knot in the strap can't fix! Such a delightful easy-to-follow pattern, not to mention a wonderful way to use up yarn remnants from other projects.

and for me - the effortless cardigan by hannah fetig in lusciously soft n warm australian wool from Bendigo Mills which mum sent over at Christmas time... while I would not say this was an "effortless" knit, it was soothing to be repeating the same stitches, and it is (despite the slightly wonky edges) what I hoped it would be - warm and cosy, for wearing around the house especially in the cool wee hours of the morning (and the dye of the yarn is aptly named "oatmeal" hehe)

there has been a lot of warm cooking going on as well, and although we are giving up refined sugar (for lent), we have been enjoying baking with the natural sweetness of fruit and nuts. these prune and pine nut scones are especially good - and were inspired by loaf of bread we had in the south of france filled with prunes and pine nuts. this grain-free skill granola isn't too shabby either, for being grain-free that is, and its another way of using up the nut pulp from making almond milk.

~ scones with prunes and pine nuts ~

80g butter
3 cups self-raising flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup milk
1/4 cup lightly toasted pine nuts
3/4 cup chopped soft prunes

In a large mixing bowl combine flour, salt and vanilla (if using dry/ground), rub in butter with your fingertips. add milk, pine nuts and prunes and stir with a knife until just combined. knead gently on a floured surface until dough is smooth and just pliable. roll to 1" flat and cut as desired. lay scones close together (edges almost touching) on a lightly floured baking tray. bake at 200'c for 10-12 minutes or until golden.


~ grain-free skillet granola ~

you will need:
1 cup almond nut pulp (from making milk)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 flaked almonds
1 tablespoon linseeds
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 tsp vanilla, ground
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup coconut oil, or butter

In a heavy-based skillet or fry pan begin by gently roasting your sunflower seeds (for about three minutes, agitating regularly), followed by flaked almonds, sesame seeds and linseeds for a further 2 minutes. next add in your nut pulp and spices, followed a minute or two later by your coconut oil. With a wooden spatula or spoon toss granola around until it is golden and dry. Add in maple syrup or honey for sweetener if you'd like some! Store in an air-tight jar for up to a week.

10 comments:

  1. Emily!

    That cardigan is lovely on you! I'm so proud! I also dont see what youre talking about with the wonky edges? It looks absolutely perfect on you. Those avatrix hats are great too, such a good way to practice short rows! I knit several of them when Julian was little and will probably knit anther in some nice worsted weight cotton for a friends baby coming in April. I hope you get my letter soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh K, you are very kind! And your letter arrived! What a pleasure to read! Thank you xx

      Delete
  2. Goodness gurl, you have such blissful talent...I must hurry off to the market and try these out - YUM!

    P.S. I'm waiting for your cookbook and/or a cookery course...! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are ever so encouraging to me Lulu! And actually the cookbook is on the works!

      Delete
  3. Funny, I was only just looking at the effortless cardi a few nights ago deliberating over whether to knit it for myself. Looks beautiful on you, so cosy! Love the colour too. And of course, your little mister looks perfectly snug in his caps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful hand knits. And home cooking. So very clever. I've never managed to master knitting, it is on my must learn, one day list! Stay warm and enjoy watching Spring begin, as we drift into Autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One degree is quite chilly. I hope it warms up for you soon. Here it is about 5 degrees but I believe it warmed up by a few degrees today and we got massive amounts of rain. The oatmeal coloured cardigan is beautiful and the knitted caps for your boy are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post is so timely... I have leftover almond pulp & was just about to search for a granola recipe using oats, but I think I'll try this as well. I also am giving up sugar for a month to get my body back in balance & am going to try the sweetening with prunes idea. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those sweaters look so cosy and soft and warm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am always so impressed by you :) Your knits are gorgeous and your baked goods look delicious! I must try knitting.... someday, someday.

    ps. the subway pictures are so sweet

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.