15 Mar 2013

inside outside

inside is warm from the oven and the radiators, furniture is rearranged, nooks and crannies are dusted and vacuumed, the days are patterned with the rays of midday sun and the never-ending joy of one-year-old antics (like pretending to blow his nose on tissues or laughing hysterically whenever we yawn and stretch our arms), nights are hellishly long and wakeful (and if I am honest, completely exhausting) but there is relief in afternoon naps, in a fifth little tooth emerging at long last, pen to paper, green smoothies... 

outside is wild with changeability, an unseasonably warm saturday, followed by a freezing sunday, then snow, and more snow, winter hasn't picked up her skirts just yet, we fumble over coats, careful not to slip, taking out the bins is an icy task, all about us white and crystalline, clouds clear for blue and sunshine, soon after a steady sound gives us hope for spring again, that drip, drip...

14 comments:

  1. Despite what the Albatros says, that snow looks pretty magical to me! (But then, I'm just looking at it, not living there.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Albatros only half meant it! The snow is so magical... but we ready for Spring now :)

      Delete
  2. i get so caught up in your writing. your descriptions of life are beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah how how poetic the mundane is! You make it so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That beautiful crisp blue sky! Won't be long until you can feel the sunshine warm on your skin again I'm sure.
    So sorry your nights are so long and draining now. It's so so hard when you can't get the sleep you need to refresh and recharge. Maybe with Reu's new tooth coming through there will be some relief and you will all sleep well again. Just had a thought - have you tried white noise (I have a white noise "machine" but you can get it as an app too). That has always helped me somewhat with settling my babies and even if nothing else is working, I find the noise can be somewhat soothing to my nerves when it all seems endless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such encouraging words - yes we play white noise too - of a running shower! and it definitely helps - I suspect its the combination of teething and just growing up. Praying for relief soon xx

      Delete
  5. Dear mama friend; I send healing thoughts and solidarity for your teething nights. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. A Narnian landscape. How you must long to ride on Aslan's back and see him bring grass and flowers again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i look forward to each and every one of your beautifully crafted posts - this was lovely...oh the teething nights. they too shall pass x
    (ps. thank you so very much for your words on my childcare post - i am always so heartened by the support from lovely bloggers)

    ReplyDelete
  8. good golly, I'm behind on your posts.
    you define the strength, love, and grace it takes to be a wonderful mother!
    keep reflecting, dearest e!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a french bloggeur and I love your blog !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.