11 Jan 2013

roast eggplant and sun dried tomato pesto

Roast eggplant makes for a lovely pasta sauce... I initially started roasting this baby with baba ganoush dip in mind, then the prospect of blending the pulp with some leftover sun dried tomatoes, fresh garlic, pine nuts, olive oil and parmesan seemed so much better. The eggplant gives it a soft creamy flavour and I think it would taste just as good on toast or as a dip with raw vegetables as it does with spaghetti...

(for about 4 persons)
1 large eggplant 
1 small garlic clove, minced
handful of sun dried tomatoes (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts, plus extra for garnishing
1/4 cup grated parmesan
pinch of salt

Prepare your whole eggplant for baking by making some criss-cross incisions - bake in a hot oven (190'c-200'c) for 20-30 minutes. Remove the soft, inside pulp with a spoon. Then blend pulp with the above indredients in a blender or rustic style with a mortar and pestle until it resembles a creamy paste (an aside note, do you know the word "pesto" has its origins in the italian verb "pestare" or to pound, crush...)

Prepare you desired pasta and when the pasta is cooked and drained (but still steaming hot) return to the pot and stir in pesto. I added some steamed chopped chard as well. Garnish with a drizzle of olive oil, toasted pinenuts, parsley and a generous sprinkle of parmesan.

5 comments:

  1. That looks like a lovely dish. I often wonder what to do with my eggplant ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks gorgeous! I never knew pasta and eggplant could go together... would love to try this out sometime. I don't think we get pine nuts here, but I could sure try to make this a little differently. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

    Roasted eggplant is what we, in India,use to make a dish called 'baingan ka bharta'. Try it out sometime. It is yummylicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're trekking to the grocery store today, one of those gigantic North American affairs where I will probably buy a package of long-sleeved t-shirts and a bucket of laundry soap, as well as . . . an eggplant. This looks delicious, and we still have half a jar of tomatoes that we dried at the end of the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious! I will be trying it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm, looks oh so scrumptious!
    Please soak up all that delicious French produce for me *so envious!
    XO

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.