16 Jan 2013

a beautiful mystery


Last night, around 8pm it began to snow,
the first snow of this year
the first of the season,
here -

I put on my sheepskin boots and step into the night,
if only just for a moment to delight in the crunch of my footsteps against the path.

Later, in bed I rest my head against Alex's shoulder
and we watch, by street-light,
the space where the curtain is drawn aside from the window,
snowflakes silently whirling over the hedges,
we gaze on -
mesmerised, hearts beating,
breathing slowing for sleep...

This morning, I wrap my child warmly to my chest
and wander out for a walk,
to buy some staples (rolled oats, milk, eggs)
and to spy the neighbourly landscape
(all that concrete and cars)
laced delicately with white,


There is a silence about the place too,
and a freshness in the air,


It is snowing,
and still so unfamiliar,
beautiful, a mystery to me...

7 comments:

  1. Lovely post! I have never seen snow falling, so the video was beautiful and mystical to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! Such a magical mystery for those of us from places where such things never happen...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen more snow-covered than bare ground in my life, I think. I loved seeing it through your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A delicate and softly-spoken celebration of such a beautiful mystery.
    I love the scene of you and Alex watching the snowflakes fall outside in the night, in awe and breathing slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Magical... I'm wishing wake up and see that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.