8 Dec 2012

on december 5th

two days ago as babe and papa napped,
I went off for a walk by myself,
a rare occurrence and a luxury -
feeling so light of heart and limb,
snow so thick, air so fresh.

I walked up the hill to the looking-tower,
I am a bit jittery with heights you see,
but I was determined to climb the stone stairs, spiralling,
step out on the balcony
and look out, down, across -
black forest, snow laden houses, city, chimneys,
footprints, car tracks, sun shining,
and I thought of one person
my sister
it was her birthday yesterday
and oh how I love that girl,
miss her all,
I whispered out my birthday wishes
from that black forest tower,
whispered and wished
for a strong wind to carry them home to her.

Then I stopped at the hillside cafe
for cake and hot chocolate
(in honour of Madeleine)
a moment to collect myself,
sketch, and gaze out at all the white,

Snow is mysterious to me -
More than anything, I love its
smooth-covering ways,
and brightness...

8 comments:

  1. Such peaceful stillness.

    Happy you got a little YOU time!

    Beautiful. XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. These photos are making me miss the snow : /

    ReplyDelete
  3. The snow I am so (oh so very) familiar with seems mysterious again, in your pictures.

    What a lovely excursion this looks to be. And that cake! So quintessentially German.

    ReplyDelete
  4. more gorgeousness. Leaves me longing for the stillness snow brings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Precious moments. Happy Birthday to her! I saw her once at Fisher library and I felt like I met a part of you! :)
    Snow really is mysterious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOvely pics! Belated birthday wishes to your sis! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These "black and white' photos-almost-remind me of our days in Switzerland before we went to Congo. Crisp and cold before hot and steamy! These are beautiful, I love the tiny lone figure walking down below the slope.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful snow!, It is so magic..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.