29 Nov 2012

absolutely spectacular mail, and other musings

since we arrived home from morocco last week our little family has been a bit out of sorts; alex with terrible back pain, me with headaches and an upset tummy and reuben with the miseries of another tooth coming through (on the top, very slowly). at its worst, babe was waking every 30 minutes through the night with painful cries and was unable to settle back to sleep with the usual comforting ways... it was hard, and I don't think I've ever felt so tired. And I realise again the preciousness of good health and a strong body.

tomorrow we're away again for a week, this time to Germany, and while part of me is feeling apprehensive and stubborn about having to travel again, juggle routines, and be away from the wonderfully soothing predictability of home - I am trying to stay positive and excited even, at the prospect of the encouraging fellowship and crisp countryside air that awaits us. 

and amidst this past week's struggles there have been many graces - of words said, or unsaid, a better night's sleep, fresh baking, warm tea, pomegranates, personal emails, an illustration finished and submitted, others starter, a brief moment of sunshine in all the grey overcast, the silvery lambs ears that are thriving beneath the lilac bush...

there has been some absolutely spectacular mail
(the kind that comes unexpectedly, at exactly the best time)
. a blue postcard from Australia
. a package from my sweet friend Kirtsin containing the best smelling coffee I have ever inhaled, dark chocolate, recipes, little green socks, a board book, vintage tea-towel and blue thread
.  fabric supplies from Korea including this wonderfully soft stripe cotton jersey which I couldn't help from quickly sewing up into a long skirt
. a quantity my blue pens of choice from ebay just as my last couple were blotching and running out

and of course, every day, my sprits are roused and lifted by the company and shenanigans of my baby boy, who is now almost ten months old, and as we speak laughing as he sits in the bottom drawer of his chest (if he's not in there he's in the suitcase), don't ask, he has a perchance of nest-like places at the moment....

With that cosy thought I better go kiss his merry cheeks,
and wish you friends a very happy mid-week
thanks for reading,
x

6 comments:

  1. If anyone could champion through a difficult week, it would be you!

    Maybe some sweets from the 'kindlmarkt will heal all?!

    Such wonderful gifts to boot! You'll be very pleased with Intelligentsia..mmmmm. I'm actually looking for work with them here in Chicago! ha!

    Safe travels, dearest-e!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful of your friends to send you care packages through the mail. I love mail (other than bills) as it gives me warm and cosy feelings. I do love the skirt you've made too. The fabric is my favourite in the sense of the cosy comfort of jersey. Your son is so precious and that last shot is so adorable. I send you my good thoughts and wishes for your next journey. Hugs.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im so glad you love it! I am adoring your skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are few things I like more than receiving (the good kind of) mail. It feels like a treasure- even if you already know it's coming :) I hope you all are on the mend and feeling better soon! We've had the exact same kind of week- Elias is cutting a tooth and has yet another ear infection, Dan is battling a cold and I have had so many migraines. So you have my sympathy! Reu is a dream (that last picture!) and I hope Germany is everything you want it to be :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That sounds like a wonderful lot of mail. :) You have got such great friends! :)
    Hope things get better in the household soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure once you get there you'll have a wonderful time! Safe travels.
    Your mail looks so fun! How great have friends who still send you beautiful "proper" mail :)
    And lastly, hope you're able to get some good sleep soon. Not fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.