12 Oct 2012

freshly made - shrugs and shortbread


So I planned to knit this little shrug while we were on holiday with my parents (back in July) - I thought, a light cotton layer will compliment the warm weather nicely! Turns out I've only just finished it... and as the weather is getting cooler by the day, I'd say she will just be worn mostly around the house, and outdoors on unexpectedly-warmish autumn days like today. 

I used Hannah Fetig's "wispy" pattern and a 5-ply pure unbleached organic cotton. The pattern calls for fingering weight wool-yarn and perhaps that's why mine looks and feels a bit thick and chunky instead of light and airy as a whispering wind through the hair... I went for the cotton for the softness and summery-feel. I like it, chunky though it may be! The pattern itself was lots of fun and the first time I learnt to "pick up and knit" stitches; sew up knitted seams, work short row shaping, and increase on the edges. She is certainly not perfect, but it feels good on, which is the main thing...

Also fresh from the oven are two kinds of shortbread, earl grey tea and pistachio and lime - inspired by Kirstin's wonderful looking batch... and they're just in time for me to take to my elderly neighbour Mireille for afternoon tea.

Happy friday afternoon to you dear readers!

13 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! And that shortbread looks delicious. I love that you are wearing the new shrug with another handmade top. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TRES FEM! Perfectly crafted, I love it...and those scrumptious looking shortbread! How's the no sugar etc. cleanse going?

    XO pretty, mama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lu my dear. The no sugar etc cleanse is going alright; though we're not being so strict about it; eaten a bit of bub's discarded apple pieces and a lick of the shortbread spoon (and crumbs). Actually, not feeling any different... but the push to explore savoury breakfast and snacking territory is great.

      Delete
  3. I love how it turned out, and how youre wearing it too! I love your cookies too! How did you incorporate the tea? The only way I have ever done it is to steep the tea in the butter and then let it harden up again. Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my dear (and especially for the patterns too:) I incorporated the tea very simply; grinding up the dried black tea leaves in a mortar and pestle and adding them as they are. The flavour was there, though mild. I think I'll try the steeping in butter at some point too...

      Delete
  4. It looks gorgeous! I am just scared of knitting - stitch dropping etc.

    That said, I want to make something with the beautiful wool you sent me. What do you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always a bit scared too until I try it and it mysteriously works! how about an elegant beret?

      Delete
  5. I love the bigger photos. And the shrug is just gorgeous Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the new layout too. These are sweet photos of you and Reu and the shrug is anice version of my black one. Yummy looking recipies!
    Lots of love,xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay....you're in The Sling Diaries! I'm so happy for you and Reuben xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are beautiful Emily! I am so impressed at your knitting skills each time you share a new project- and the shortbread looks divine. My favorite cookie by far!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just made this shrug in a rust color from quince. I love it so much but the shoulders are a bit big in me. I love the color you knit it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.