2 Sep 2012

from the garden(s) to the plate


fresh basil, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers from our garden find themselves in a chilled gaspatcho,
eggplants and lettuces from a local farmer's gardens make their way onto homemade sourdough "burger" buns,
and enormous courgettes from sophie and tim's garden are savoured in many meals, including one generous loaf of zucchini bread.

~ the cure-all (almost) fragrant zucchini bread ~
especially for the morning after a shocking nights sleep... in thick slices with a generous spread of fresh butter.

you will need:
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
2 tablespoons poppy-seeds
2 eggs
1/2 cup olive oil (sunflower or walnut)
1/2 cup unsweetened yoghurt
3/4 cup sugar
zest of one lemon
1 1/2 cups firmly packed grated fresh zucchini
1/3 cup roughly chopped walnuts
1/4 cup roughly chopped shelled pistachios
(handful of above nuts chopped finely for sprinkling on top)

Preheat oven to 180'c. Grease or line a large loaf tin. In a big bowl mix together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, spices and poppy-seeds. In a separate bowl whisk together eggs, oil, yoghurt, sugar and lemon zest - pour into bowl with dry ingredients and stir until well combined. Fold in zucchini and nuts then transfer mixture to prepared tin and bake until rise, deep golden in colour, and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean - approximately 45 - 60 minutes. Cool in the tin before serving... if you can wait that long!

Now I wonder, what are you eating from your (or someone else's) garden at present?

6 comments:

  1. ahhhh this is the best food one could possibly eat! who needs fancy over-priced restaraunts when one can feed on such nourishing goodness!

    That bread/cake! I should probably never make it because I could easily wipe off 3/4 of a loaf in under 30 minutes haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alberta didn't have a very good year for zucchinis, but I do have one good-sized one from my Opa. I plan to make a chocolate zucchini cake that I've eaten for as long as I can remember. It took months to convince Tim to taste it, but now he adores it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That cake sounds divine, will you blog the recipe?!

      Delete
  3. Can I invite myself over for lunch? YUM!

    I'm on a Roasting Veg kick....Any and all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for roast veg :) and yes, come for lunch!

      Delete
  4. Honestly Emily I've decided you must put out a cook book! Everything you make always looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.