12 Aug 2012

chambre

Finally our little bedroom feels like home - somewhere completely and utterly relaxing, restful on the eyes and head, and heart.

We live in a tiny free standing granny-flat (that the french call "maisonette" which is far more endearing). We have one bedroom which connects onto our wee bathroom. When we arrived, over a year ago, we discovered an infestation of flying ants coming up through unsealed places in the flooring and walls. We ended up ripping up and replacing the flooring - but in the process discovered a lot more needed to be done in the bedroom; plastering up an old unused doorway, taking down the mouldy peeling wallpaper, replacing the ceiling boards, plastering and giving everything a good paint. Just recently we re-orintated our bed and bought and painted a crib for Reuben now that he's getting bigger and is constantly on the roll! Up till now he's slept with us - and while I still nurse him in bed with me - its nice to have somewhere safe and inviting for him to sleep, nap and play. 

Little things make a bedroom homey for me; art on the walls; Alex's paintings, an origami kangaroo, a beloved oil pastel of a mama and babe, postcards round the mirror... living things like an indoor plant and fresh flowers... crisp, simple bedding... something soft for my feet to meet in the mornings... books to read... and of course, my beautiful kin.

How about you - what makes your bed-space comforting for you?

4 comments:

  1. Oh I love it. So peaceful and French! And I love that you use those swaddling cloths as sheets ... we have the same ones and I'm going to do that now :)

    For me, fresh bedding is hard to beat. And I love it when all three of us are wrapped up together listening to the rain outside. I can see us doing it for years to come, with the company of a few more babies maybe! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the color of the walls. peaceful and simple.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, just popped over from che and fidel. Lovely blog you have.

    What a happy peaceful bedroom. We're in the process of moving, so our bedroom doesn't feel very restful, but I love having good books on the bedside table and some favourite pictures on the wall so when I first wake I can lie in bed daydreaming while looking at them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the mobile, the art on your walls, the books on the bedside table.

    I just tidied up our bedroom yesterday. The whole apartment descended into a shambles after a series (hopefully over?) of water-seeping incidents, and our bedroom was a pile of laundry, empty coffee cups, and ant traps (ugh) for weeks. The transformative effects of dusting, making the bed, hanging up the clothes, lighting a few tealights never cease to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.