2 Jul 2012

more summery sewing

 
 
For the past week or two amidst caring for my little boy, cooking, cleaning, eating, sleeping, gardening, washing and drying clothes, sitting still, walking with the sling, stumbling over french and just generally being... I've been intermittently sewing a few more summery garments for our upcoming vacances with my parents to Northern France and Belgium (hoo ha):

A second wiksten tank in soft cotton gauze. I experimented with a scalloped collor and a rounded pocket. I think its quite sweet as a result.

A linen sunhat-cloche with cotton lining. I used this pattern which calls for denim - it was surprisingly simple to sew up, now I plan to make more for friends and kin.

A beach dress with shirring at the bust. It took a fair bit of trial and error to work out how my machine shirred with elastic thread, and the lines aren't perfect, but thankfully the retro embroidery on the fabric makes this quite unnoticeable. I used this tutorial by tinyhappy as my inspiration.

Three more days till Alex returns,
Five more days till my parents arrive,
and I am so excited at the prospect of holding the hands of the man I love,
seeing my beautiful mama, introducing my stepdad to his little grandson,
and escaping off to the north...

Blessings to you this fine Sunday,

14 comments:

  1. I love them all! You're such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything (you, Reuben, garden and clothes) is looking great! You can't go wrong with blue and white! (Even God thought it was the best colours for sky!

    "Three more days till Alex returns"

    : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. gee thanks unkleE! And I quite agree about the sky; how magnificent that it can be blue and white - and then sometimes grey and black and pink and red and tangerine too!

      Delete
  3. oh i love this!!! I am so inspired to get better at my sewing, im really not good at all yet...but this is helping me to be motivated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks K :) You can't see all my mistakes and wonky stitches! But we get better every time!

      Delete
  4. Here's to happiness.........and I got your letter!! thanks :) (and I showed my parents your blog and introduced them to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this has inspired me to get back into sewing.

    so summery and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see more of your sewing adventures... then maybe you can start a blog too?

      Delete
  6. I just read your letter...My friend, there is definitely something of the spirit in our friendship. Most definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my! I am so glad I found you... this is LOVELY! You are so talented.... I am officially inspired to learn to sew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jacy! I still have a lot to learn and muster on the sewing front! But its so worth it I think :)

      Delete
  8. You are truly one of the most beautiful specemin of a woman I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.