25 Apr 2012

classic australian

It's ANZAC day today - and even though we're not in Australia we still pause in remembrance for brave men and women who took part in wars past - our friends and family included. I baked some of those delicious chewy-oaty-coconuty anzac biscuits and read some classic australian picture books with Reuben including Edward The Emu, Magic Beach and some of The Adventures of Blinky Bill.

From time to time someone will ask me what "australian food" is like; and well really its such a fusion of all the beautiful things migrants from the mother country, europe, asia, americas, middle-east, africa and our indigenous people eat. However ANZAC biscuits are definitely a classic morning or afternoon tea treat.

Here's my tried and true recipe:

120g butter
2 tablespoons of golden syrup or honey (but gs tastes best)
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup desiccated flour
1 cup wholemeal flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons boiling water


Preheat over to 160'c. Melt butter and golden syrup over gentle heat - meanwhile combine flour, oats, coconut, sugar and salt in a bowl. Once butter and syrup come to the boil remove from heat and stir in baking soda which has been dissolved in boiling water. Transfer buttery mixture to dry ingredients and stir well to combine. Using your hands roll balls from about 1 heaped desert spoon of mixture. Arrange on tray lined with baking paper about 5cm apart. Using a spoon or spatula flatten balls into disks around 1/2" thick. Bake in oven for around 15-20 minutes or until golden. 
(I prefer mine on the softer chewy side so I take them out as soon as they're golden but leave yours in longer if you prefer them hard and crispy!)

8 comments:

  1. I'm in love with Rue's chunky legs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I love about the food here...such a great mix of everyone who has come to Australia, and it is all so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad the book got to you despite logistical errors! Loves to you and yours on Anzac day chicken. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. i was gonna make some anzacs too, but couldn't find golden syrup here in france. I should try with honey. silly me. Maybe tonight!
    -kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mamashara, so true!

    Flea, much love to you too...

    Kim, Oh don't get me started on trying to find golden syrup in France! Molasses from the health food shop is as close as I could find... this is a food item I get friends and family to bring with them from Australia (along with seaweed rice crackers :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. The biscuits look yummy and I love those chubby baby legs xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful good old Australian books are.

    I remember fondly watching Blink Bill on tv!

    So pleased to see him reading Edward.

    x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.