2 Dec 2011

on the first

As you know today is the beginning of December. It is the first time in my twenty-two or so years that Christmas will be outside of Australia and faraway from kin. alex and I are determined to make it a special, reflective and celebratory time for our little family nonetheless.

growing up I relished our annual advent calendar - a tree shape filled of boxes made of sturdy card - in which my mum (and later we children) put messages, verses, sweets and planned adventures for the 24 days leading up to Christmas. Sometimes it was things like "I love you" and a little candy waited for each of us, or a planned outing like "trip to the beach" or an instruction like "there are ripe sugar plums waiting in the fridge"...

I wanted to continue the tradition - so this year I made 24 little envelopes out of old wrapping, book and stationary paper. I strung them up with cotton and pins. I have the task of filling all the odd-numbered days with a message or instruction - Alex has the even. Tonight's was drink spicy chai and write festive cards to friends and kin - and we did, just that.

9 comments:

  1. Growing up we never had this tradition in my home. The more I hear about it, the more I like the idea. I love how you are carrying on your tradition in the new country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marvelous family tradition - true forms of spirit for the holidays!

    by the bye, you are the queen of craft ;)

    Happy December!
    -lulu

    ReplyDelete
  3. ADVENT SEASON IS UPON US!
    I love this tradition too.
    You're a beauty.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, so wonderful. I love that you are doing this.

    We are trying to establish our own traditions as well - and one that I am most looking forward to is the making of a shortbread house... We have also been sharing our childhood Christmas music with each other, which is turning out to be a little hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! And I love the way you designed your advent calendar. I know December has now started, but perhaps I'll do this tonight and play catch-up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. so festive and reflective and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just realized this is probably your first christmas in cold weather!? How Charles Dickens!!!

    This is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this. I always adored the advent calendar (actually I think my sisters and I often missed the point entirely and would fight to the bone to be the one to open each day) but THIS version, the personal instructions and suggestions, I love.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.