21 Nov 2011

old and new


some twenty-four years ago my mum crocheted this pair of pink and green overalls for her second baby, still ripening in the womb. he would be my older brother, the one born before me.and with the exact same pattern I find myself crocheting a pair of overalls for my baby, my first - in cream, red and minty green. there is something lovely about the thought of our little one rolling around in my brother's old pair of overalls, and a new pair made especially.
then a month or two back a very dear friend sent over some rainbow pastel crepe wool; leftover balls from the knitted garment she made for one her babies more than 30 years ago. I had just enough to crochet a little cropped jacket and a pair of thick booties. Then using some new wool - actually the same cream and minty green from the overalls - I crocheted a wee elfin hat. It seems to match the jacket and booties perfectly.
oh I do love the growing collection of old and new wooly things that this babe will wear

11 comments:

  1. These are perfect garments for a little one. Your baby is going to be so warm and comfortable in these!
    [Not to mention utterly adorable!]

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife Lizzie likes to crochet its an amazing texture unique, so different from knitting. These are so lovely I especially liked the little green hat/bonnet

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are just too perfect for words. And this baby will be just too gorgeous!!!!

    btw. I can't wait to start trying my hand at cotton clothes for he/she too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are all so adorable and special!

    Have a lovely Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. those are so cute! And I love the idea of handmade hand-me-downs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! This little jacket and booties made from Andrew's wool gladdens my heart! And, as you say, the tiny green elfin hat matches perfectly. I can imagine your bebe wrapped up against the cold of a French winter in ALL of these new/old garments. Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could easily see these knit gems hanging up in a French boutique! :) yowza, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh emily....i haven't been on here in awhile to catch up with your life but have been thinking of you a lot and wondering how all is going. it is so precious to see some of the little garments your little one will be wearing. they are lovely. you are doing such a wonderful job creating! also--tell alex that the bathroom looks beautiful! he did such a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh goodness. I'm itching to learn the art of crocheting and knitting.. I know a few basics, but that's where it ends. I need to get together with some gals and LEARN!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.