14 Sep 2011

a recipe for a lazy morning

Some time ago I was looking for rye flour in the grocery store and came across enticing bags of "farine de blé noir" not knowing exactly what this was I bought some. Turns out it was dark buckwheat flour - in France its most commonly used for making savoury crepes. So far I've used it for making a dense wholemeal bread and most recently for making lazy morning pancakes - which alex and I both agree are simply delicious - more so than plain wheat ones. here's the recipe:

1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup yoghurt
1 large eggs
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1-2 tablespoons honey (you can add more if you want really sweet pancakes)

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. In a separate bowl whisk egg and honey together until light and frothy. Add flours and milk/yoghurt mixture alternatively - stirring slowly after each. Stir in melted butter. Heat a teaspoon of butter in a skillet or large flat fry pan and when hot cook spoonfuls of mixture - and flip over when bubbles appear. Repeat till all your mixture is used up. Enjoy hot or cold with maple syrup, honey, jam or even with a slice of cheese!

Personally, I like them best cold - but then again I also like my toast cold too...

4 comments:

  1. It's wonderful that you can get a healthy flour there. Here it is so difficult to get flour in larger quantities that I'd like for baking bread and other things, except for white and whole wheat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I also like my toast cold too..."

    But you know the saying - there's no accounting for toast! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those sound wonderful! I wouldn't even know where to look for buckwheat flour here.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.