8 Jul 2011

a healer

this evening
after a day of waiting, and waiting
and going
from one side of outer paris to the other
I found myself feeling weary in my bones,
aching around my temples,
in desperate need of some uncomplicated and prompt soothing -

I opened the fridge door
and saw yesterday's chicken, a bag of vegetables,
decided the only right thing to do was to make a broth -

a n d
I am certain it has healing properties
because after one spoon
I felt better already.

r e c i p e
*make stock using leftover chicken carcass and bones from a baked/charcoal chicken, vegetable scraps (basically whatever you were considering for the compost - celery leaves, carrot stumps, sprigs of parsley, onion stumps) and a litre of water - simmer on low heat for as long as you've got (ideally 1 hr or more).
*in a separate pot prepare the soup - finely chop carrot, celery, fennel bulb, potato (and any other vegetables you fancy). saute over gentle heat with a splash of olive oil. Next add chopped up leftover cooked chicken. Stir to combine. Using a sieve or colander pour simmering stock in pot - straining out chicken bones and vegetables scraps. Bring to the boil and simmer on low heat for 1/2 hour or so. Add more water if needed,
*laddle into bowl or mug and enjoy with a sprinkle of fresh parsley and cracked pepper - a hunk of fresh baguette is good too.

7 comments:

  1. I love this! chicken broth is definitely one of my favorite comforts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy to hear it helped heal a long day... I love that Soup can regenerate and strengthen the soul. I wonder why that is?

    now I'm craving Pho...

    toodles, love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks so good!!
    glad it helped you feel better :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always make the most delicious looking things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If only a grandmother made it....then it would be super, magical healing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could do with some of that to get rid of the flu!

    I wonder, do they call them charcoal chickens in France too?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful colours Emily.Hope the trip goes well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.