2 Jun 2011

corners of our home - le jardin

We have begun a garden.
This makes Alex and I beam from ear to ear.

We like to watch things grow in the earth,
to tend and comfort
and be entirely surprised -

We are starting this time round with:
lavender,
three kinds of thyme,
rosemary,
basil,
coriander,
marigold seeds,
and parsley seeds,
raw salmon pink geraniums,
lemon verbena,
a sturdy bay leaf shrub,
and my favourite of favourites
a blue hydrangea,
seeds for vegetables
and fragrant violets,
soil,
and golden hay -

I will share the growing with you,
and the eating,
smelling,
crying,
too.

we have high hopes
and no hopes
for this one,
and pray
for a sturdy french spirit,
much like a bay leaf or two
simmering in the pot.

5 comments:

  1. growing in french earth, it's bound to be good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha I had to laugh at that first comment--after all it is very "hobbitish" :) you are going to have a lovely garden! I'm just a little jealous. My kids picked my tomatoes and brought them to me, bright green and hard in their little hands, "Look, Mommy! We got food!" I think I should try herbs next year. Only herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love herb gardens! it will thrive because your talented hands placed them in their new homes! france looks good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh everything is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.