25 May 2011

up the cherry tree

I picked these cherries from our garden. We thought we'd missed them as we were away for work over the weekend - but I climbed up on a ladder and wrestled my way through branches to pick what little red I could. They are quite small (we are told they got a bit stunted with the unusually warm April weather) but delicious all the same. And those red hues! I wish I could wear them as a wreath around my head.
I am very excited to see the fruit emerging on the pear tree and the apple tree too. This is a new experience for me - as the weather in Sydney, Australia doesn't really get cool enough for these kinds of fruits to grow properly.
Alex and I have already been planning and dreaming about what we'll plant in our garden; herbs, cherry tomatoes, tulips, lavender, potatoes and leeks for certain. It is good for the soul to be among soil.

Tell me, what are your plans for the garden this summer/winter? What excites you to see growing?

10 comments:

  1. So jealous right now! I am just thinking of all the wonderful jams, stews, tarts, crumbles, turn-overs, preserves etc etc etc that you'll be able to make with all the fruit!

    I am lucky though - all that stuff grows out here and my friend who's recently moved out of town has a quince tree on her property so next season, they will all be properly Maggie Beer'ed i.e. slow roasted and preserved! Oh so delicious with ice-cream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my what goodness!
    One of my all time dreams is to have fruit trees of all fruits in my garden one day! What a life that would be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, cherries! It's so hard to wrap my head around this idea of you being on the other side of the planet! Everything looks amazing! I can't wait to see your garden unfold x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. loving seeing and hearing all about yr new adventure xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never grown lavender. I can't think why.

    Though it is growing in my Opa's garden and not mine, I am most excited for fresh rhubarb. I've promised to make a tart with a cornmeal crust and fresh vanilla custard...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This year we're growing green onions, kale,corn, cherry tomatoes, and beets for veggies. I'm putting pansies, petunias, strawberries and various herbs in pots. It's nice just to see anything sprout out through the manual labour of our hands. Right now there are lots of little birdies coming to my garden. It's lovely to see and hear them though we don't get such a variety of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That bowl of cherries has to be the REAL meaning and essence of the word cerise!Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have a winter vegetable garden with leeks , carrots , brussel sprouts , broccoli sugar snap peas and snowpeas with heirloom tomatoes for next spring.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Bonjour Paris" has a recipe for Pithiviers aux cerises which looks delicious.

    S.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh huzzah, I LOVE cherries! I'm glad theyre coming into season over here :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.