15 Apr 2011

adventures in dye

I was sitting outside looking up at mr magnolia
thinking about how nice a shade of green his leaves are -
mottled and olive and sparkling in the sunlight
then I thought about some not-so-loved items of clothing
some discolored in patches,
or just an unappealing colour all over
I came across some fabric dye we had lying around
"olive green"
I love that you really don't know how each fabric will dye
- in this batch all the cotton went a lovely olive shade and the nylon trims went tree green
its like getting a bunch of new clothes,
and I'm left asking myself why have I always overlooked olive green before?
also on the dyeing front,
about eight months ago I cut most of my hair off -
(it wasn't only because I've always wanted to)
but because I wanted to grow my hair out in its natural shade
I've been putting dark rises in it for about six years,
so you could say
my head is finally breathing easy
and I love it.

7 comments:

  1. Hi~ I have seen you dye your clothes once before like this. Purple or brown, I think it was. I would love to see how you do it. I'm a little intimidated at the thought of this. Your results are wonderful! I like the idea of freshening up once-favorite clothes.

    Good luck in all of your moving endeavors. I wish you safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Allison :)
    I think I might do a blog post this week with a step by step guide to clothes dyeing - its really pretty simple, I've got a few more things put aside to dye. Watch this space!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats a great colour, I quite like it! oh and doesnt it feel good to just cut off hair? It was just so easy to take care of when it was super short........mines growing back again

    Yay for natural hair colour ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. On Wednesday last, I dyed a dress olive green. So we are great kindred minds thinking alike darling.

    Olive green has always been on of my favourite colours.

    Your hair looks lovely, rather Celtic goddess like...

    Love to you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog is perpetually inspiring. I need to make a roll for my paintbrushes too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Olive.
    I went through a clothing dying phase......I'm hoping to go through it again someday.....ever so "I Capture the Castle..."
    x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.