13 Feb 2011

why all the quiet or an ode to the house

goodbye sweet home!
goodbye old canterbury road,
and the green grass across it -
farewell icing cake ceilings,
and strangely hypnotising carpet,
goodbye early morning tip-toeing to the toilet outside,
to the oven that I was once scared to light
and then found myself quite in love,
to the gracious garden,
and spontaneous pumpkins,
feeling around for the light switch in the long dark hallway,
the flood of light through our windows,
and soft fluttering curtains -
goodbye blanket forts
and picnics under the clothes line,
farwell steep hill from the train station
and high-pitched singing neighbours -
I wish I could have had you visit me then,
and now
after the great move
(and tears and spine twisting)
I am back in Arncliffe town.
In my old childhood room,
but this time with a husband
and a museum-worthy collection of oddball things.
It is a little bit unusual,
and I'm feeling worn to the bone -
and crushed between nostalgia for what has been
and a thunder of excitement for what is ahead -
but good, its all so good.

6 comments:

  1. Love this. So beautiful.

    And your hair - it's so much longer!

    I love the line 'strangely hypnotising carpets' - suggests some strange alien interference. :P

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. "and crushed between nostalgia for what has been
    and a thunder of excitement for what is ahead -
    but good, its all so good."

    you've summed up my soul.

    thinking of you in all this transition (and email me where to send your Valentine!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm tremendously excited for you two...

    sending much love and warmest wishes for an easy transition!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear, I hope your "Christmas" present is not lost forever...

    All that aside, I am terribly excited for you, beginning such a grand adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and goodbye to the fire place taped up with sticky-tape?! ; )

    I'm glad you're well dearest friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.