17 Feb 2011

a bit knitty

Sources: 1. Hooray Cardigan by Veera Välimäk, 2. Folded by Veera Välimäki 3. Sweet Vanilla Tunic by Veera Välimäki, 4. Tea Leaves Cardigan by MadelineTosh, 5. Camilla Pullover by Quince & Co, 6. Anabel Sweater by Quince & Co.

I want to knit.
Like I really really want to knit.

the above statement may not seem that ludicrous to you, but trust me it is... See I have always been a bit of crochet-exclusive. Maybe it was because my first adventures in knitting when I was 7 or 8 went like this:
Mum casts me on to make a nice, simple scarf
I end up with a wondefully, holely, wonky triangle.
My grandma sews it into a tea cozy in an attempt to cheer my defeated spirit.
I do not speak of knitting again.

Forward a few years as a 11 year old I am taught crochet granny squares. And love it! Though still to this day my technique is bizarre, it is fast (for me) and efficient. From when I started learning to crochet I have made one or two simple things every winter, and in recent years progressed onto baby clothes, shoes, hats, mittens, adornments and more recently clothes.

I have also amassed an impressive amount of yarn.

Yet the desire to trade in hook for needles has not even slightly tempted me. There was one occasion three years ago my dear friend Anna gave me a pattern for a 1940s knitted hat which was too gorgeous not to try - which I half completed in pea green wool (hole-free) - and then moved on...

To my discovery of Japanese crochet books! Which reignited my love of the superior yarn-craft of crochet. Knitting was too slow and wool-consuming I told myself!

And then so it happened maybe a week or twrice ago I was on ravelry, getting my yarn fix when suddenly a little spark grew inside me - a desire, a longing - to knit. I admit I was wooed by all the beautifully knitted garments you see above.

But to actually want to knit myself?
thats just crazy talk.

Here I am in the sweaty heat of summertime when usually wool is far away as possible from my hands, and I want to wrap myself up in its 4 or 6 or 8 ply strands and knit a sweater. Maybe it has something to do with moving to france where I will actually
feel a cold winter, and instincts for staying warm and hibernating are kicking in.

maybe its just what I thought, an unexplainable treason to the "other side" of the yarn world.

I have decided to embark on my first real knitting project - the simple sweater pictured last. It was designed by the aptly named "Quince and Co". I will update my progress, and whether I am truly converted in the coming weeks/months... the yarn is called "clay" - but it looks more quincey to me.
all that said, the hooks are still best.

over and out,
from the
crochet *come knitty* lady
xx

9 comments:

  1. Love this post! So witty and funny and real. I was stunned to learn you and your DH are moving to France. How cool is that?!! I encourage you in your knitting journey. I was never good at it myself and am now trying to learn...baby steps for me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe, I'm so excited to see your creations -- your other artistic endeavors are always so delightful! (I can't wait to receive my Etsy love from your lovely shop!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear. Now I want to knit a sweater as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joyful, thank you for your kind words!

    Fawn, :) I can't wait for you to receive your etsy love too, I included a little surprise.

    Lizzy, oh please do! we can be sweater comrades!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do believe my first scarf was the seperated-at-birth-twin to yours!

    I, however, may have been 23 and still have never heard the grand concept of "counting stitches."

    So I picked up the hook.

    I ho-hum at least once a winter about learning knitting, lusting after a multitude of beautiful yarny goods crafted by knitty hands, but then I always end up reaching for speed and easy and the hook emerges again.

    Le sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That little story is so perfect! Do more stories like this. I remember those triangle knit pieces well but which grandma sewed it into a tea cozy?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had an awed fear of knitting for years. I can sew. I have had no experience with any kind of yarn art. But then the need hit while standing in the middle of a totally beautiful yarn store. I HAD to knit!

    Since November, I've knit 5 hats (well, maybe six by this evening), two pairs of mittens, coffee cup cozies, and a bookmark. (I'm in the U.S., so imagine cozy, snowy evening with a hot water bottle on the feet--PERFECT!)

    I tend to be a gulper with learning new things, I just want to learn it all now. But I've restrained myself to only learning a couple skills at a time with knitting. I'm tracking my progress on ravelry (my username is "diberjones"). I'm embarking on a vest for my 2yo for the next project. It'll be my first garment.

    All this to say: little bit, by little bit, learning to knit has been a super satisfying, meditative experience for me, and I wish you the best!! Because it is so addicting. Like magic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I long to knit too! And my childhood knitting adventures were even worse than yours! I think I might have to kidnap a very patient old lady and force her to teach me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. NIce to be here, will keep visiting.
    Keep inform and write and post. Its really interesting and the pics and well captured and lovely too
    Best
    PHil

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.