16 Feb 2011

les fleurs de paris

When alex and I visited france a few months ago I managed to capture up the fragrant displays of a few beautiful little florists in the centre of paris.

And those bright blooms,
they sang straight to my soul,
they sang straight to the 10-year-old me
who was determined to be a florist
and open her own little shop one day.

I remember clearly doing a school presentation on flowers and some brutish classmates started calling me "flowerpower" for the next two years. I was so embarrassed that I pretended I didn't want to be a florist anymore, even though my love for flowers and their names and their patterning stayed close to my heart. And have ever since. I still hope to have some kind of flowering business one day - maybe when Alex and I find a little farm in france to grow fields and fields of violets and poppies and lavender - and I'll trade them at the local marché for butter and artichokes, and my babies and I will roll in them.

I will call myself Madame Flowerpower.

p.s. the above contemplation was penned by myself at six years old.

5 comments:

  1. I would definitaly join the 'flowerpower sisterhood'!

    Beautiful captures of colour, wrapped and offered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I've been eagerly awaiting this post ever since it popped up in Google Reader, then disappeared for ripening and editing. Gorgeous. I wanted to be a florist as well. A florist, a ballerina, and a seamstress. I imagined a breath-taking synthesis of all three in one shop...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must send me some!

    Love you,

    Alice

    P.s. when I saw the photos I gasped thinking you'd already left! Silly Alice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way - if it makes you feel better - I used to want to be a ballerina!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nice to visit your beautiful and lovely blog. the pics, sketches and contents are really excellent. Keep inform.
    Best.Phil

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.