14 Dec 2010

recipes from garden to hearth - tomatoes

we are in a lovely season with our garden; every day we find ripened cherry tomatoes, zucchinis, cucumbers, beetroot, radishes and potatoes to pick or unearth. my heart skips a little to see red in amongst all the green or to feel with my bare hands golden potatoes in the dirt.
now I am a woman who loves her soup. I love it hot and cold and lukewarm. I love cold soup in summer especially.


and I am convinced gazpacho is perfect.
(and anything with tomatoes, olive oil + salt)

it reminds me of spain too,
which I was so lucky to live in for a month and a bit three years ago...

the recipe:
half of small garlic, finely minced
two medium cucumbers (or one giant one)
handful of cherry tomatoes
1 large tomato
1/3 cup good extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup verjuice (can be substituted for lemon juice or a fruit vinegar)
sourdough bread (I used an olive/rye kind) sliced into cubes
olive oil for frying

Blend garlic, cucumbers and tomatoes in a blender. Add olive oil and verjuice and mix to combine. Pour into a large bowl and season with salt and pepper, cover and place in fridge to cool (about 1-hr at least). In a hot fry pan, toss cubes of bread in a sprinkling of live oil until golden and crisp. Recover soup from fridge and serve in cups or bowls as you like. Cover liberally with croutons and extra virgin olive oil.
me in longer haired days, espaƱol, 2008

5 comments:

  1. YUMM!! Fresh goodness!! You grow girl! ;)

    Beautiful ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. love gazpacho (for similar reasons, lived there during college) but the best thing is that it is sooo forgiving, add too much of this or that and it is all ok! Had some once with watermelon in it: wow!
    Enjoy your blog, come see me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been meaning to try this, but didn't have a trusty recipe. Now I have both a recipe and the ingredients in my fridge. I am out of excuses.

    [The word verification is 'pariz']

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love thinking that Christmas season to you means fresh tomatoes and cold soup. It's a perfectly foreign concept to me.

    Slice me a cucumber missie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, your cherry tomatoes look like jewels! Still waiting for mine to ripen :(

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.