5 Nov 2010

The backyard green

I have been wanting to take you around our garden for a while now but have been at loss at where to begin - I take photos and within days or weeks the space looks completely different. This is surely a growing beast.
And we love to have it.

I took this photo on the first day we moved in.
So big and Australian and full of promise.
We had one of those clothes lines or "hills hoist" as we call them in the house I was born into. I have great memories of my older siblings swinging on it. I preferred the jacaranda tree. In all the houses I have lived in I have been blessed with opportunity to be in, explore and grow in the garden. Places where I could be as I like best; barefoot and free. Where there is no restrain of imaginative thoughts, where colour is a natural part of being, and you can hear the sounds of the earth. The dearest freshness deep down things.

We are only renting this house and in 3 or 4 months time we will be leaving it. A few people have asked me why we bothered putting in a garden and how it will be a shame leaving it - and I think of course it will be sad leaving it, but why wouldn't you care for and nourish green earth when you have it? And who knows who will come in after us, and enjoy the fresh herbs and colour we put in.
A garden is not just waiting for the elements with dirt and seeds and able hands,
it is a heart-space too.
We re-learn how to grow;
be reliant,
be sturdy,
bud and bloom.

7 comments:

  1. your garden is lovely :)
    whoever lives there after you will be lucky to inherit it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since you most recent letter, I've been curious to see this...AND to tell you that I whole-heartedly agree. I would do this as well, for whatever amount of time I was given to till that specific earth.

    What an amazing job you've done with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Places where I could be as I like best; barefoot and free. Where there is no restrain of imaginative thoughts, where colour is a natural part of being, and you can hear the sounds of the earth. The dearest freshness deep down things."

    I connect so strongly to this, right to the soul!
    But i could sure use more of the barefootedness and hearing the sounds of the earth thing.

    We tried growing tomatoes three times and they all failed, but oh how i love edible gardens! Hopefully in another house we will grown another garden and it will work and produce abundantly!
    Oh i really wish for that!
    A beautiful garden and the next residents of the house are gonna be SO lucky!

    I love these connections Emily :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I neglected it, everything about my garden this year was so poignant to me - the threatening weeds, the rescue of the carrots at the last minute, the miracle of the snow peas, the frost-slain tomatoes . . . There may not exist a better physical metaphor. How vibrant and life-filled yours looks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.