1 Aug 2010

Explorations in thread

I have always wanted to embroider but never had the time or patience. Embroidering I thought is for gentle people with careful fingers, steady hands and steadfast minds (and I will readily acknowledge that I am not the most careful of crafters). But late yesterday afternoon the desire to embroider took hold of me. So I sat down in the orange grandpa rocking chair and set to work with an old-biscuit tin filled with thread and off cuts Alex brought home from his work of beautiful belgium linen.
So I gave it a go -

(And pricked my fingertips a lot)

But eventually I made three little brooches using running stitch, chain stitch and lazy daisy stitch - which I attached to a felt and safely pin back. I think they look quite sweet even if they are a bit rough around the edges. And they add some colour to dark winter coats and sweaters.

I am excited about becoming more familiar with the medium. And already have dreams of homemade jam labels, sprigging a skirt with tiny rose buds, and mapping a whimsical blue landscape on linen...

7 comments:

  1. I would love to touch these! How beautiful, and what a stunning first try. My own itch to embroider is flaring up again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore them. All I need now is some fabric; I made a doily once, but am determined/inspired to do more.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh i love these, so very very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant -- I'd love to wear one of these beauties!
    You're actually making me long for cool weather, for sweaters and such!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thaks for your warm comment in my blog!
    Ohh, I want one of this!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.