3 Jul 2010


I've been cocooning of late,
wrapped myself up for the winter.

at first
it seemed beyond my control -
the layers that came
and enfolded me
heavy,
silky,
spinning -

I gnashed my teeth,
and cursed the sky and ground and telephone lines

but now I know how much I needed it -

time to rest a stretched mind
time to hold my limbs close
and collect up fraying thoughts

time to shroud my heart and eyes and ears
with stillness,

head in hoods
hands in wool
feet in boots

learn what warms my soul,
what Love I live for -

then slowly,
silent as silk
I spin,
unbuckle,
shed my layers
(my skin a little too)

and once again
put pen to paper,
imagine and dream,
wake and sleep with joy,

feel the icy wind against my cheeks.

2 comments:

  1. How lovely this poem is. Your quietness lately made me hope you were alright.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your delicate features emerging from that hood,
    your soulful words,
    your ability to reveal,
    and express
    your honest heart,
    are all
    why
    I love you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.