17 Jun 2010

some thoughts on flowers

I love the sight and smell of fresh flowers in the house.

They make my feet sing.

They give life to the drabbest desk and the dustiest shelf.

I have always preferred hand-picked flowers over store-bought - not only are they less expensive, they always look and smell nicer.

I love posies of random blooms from our garden and from overgrown fences that hang onto the footpath when I go walking in our neighbourhood.

My favourites are jasmine, clover, violets, gardenias, hydrangeas, nasturtiums, lavender, elderflower, and lambs ears.

When I smell a bunch of clover on my bedside table sometimes I shut my eyes and pretend I'm sleeping in the grass.

I feel so fondly for hand-picked flowers that on the afternoon before our wedding (on the way to our church rehearsal in fact) I picked some blue hydrangeas for the florist to weave into my bunch.

For the next couple of months I've set a challenge for myself to share with you every week the little posies I construct for our home. You can take part too - it doesn't have to be flowers, it can be a posy of leaves, twigs and sticks, moss, lichen, feathers even. Just post a photo and a wee reflection every week.

4 comments:

  1. I will participate very happily. There is nothing that makes a home look more cared-for and happily lived-in than posies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love. Done. I'm in. Where do I sign?

    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love flowers too. We don't always have many in the garden or neighbourhood so I sometimes buy them as a treat from a lady who goes to the market. Wherever they come from I like them in wild looking posies. Formal arrangements don't really excite me at all. And I completely agree, they make a home so much warmer. Fragrant flowers like jonquils are a double blessing but my favourites are poppies!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.