24 Apr 2010

The Blue Quilt aka the wedding quilt

It has always been a desire of mine to explore the world of blue and white in quilt form, even before I began Serendipity, I started collecting up various blues - every time I acquired a new quarter I would lie them next to each other in bundles and dream of the pattern yet to come...
I dreamed up designs with pen on paper;
I gleamed inspiration in books;
till finally it came to me,
something very very simple
So in early January when I went out to visit my dear friend Alice we began to make it; cutting, sewing, pressing all the little squares and triangles needed for blue and white pinwheels...

and all the laughter
and all the conversation
and all the frustration
and all the joy that ensued


With the top done I brought my blue baby home. I bought some pure wool batting for the inside and basted it GOOD in preparation for the hand-quilting. In the months since this glorious blue mosaic has emerged, and as of 4.45 pm today is completed:

The backing fabric is a lovely sprigged cotton from Provence which I could only justify buying because it was 40% off the original price - but suits it so perfectly.
The "feature" square which I included to shake things up a little is my original fabric of tudor roses I printed with Spoonflower:
I then took the tudor rose design and turned it into a stencil I could quilt with; I alternated every second square with the rose and the other with a simple stitch up the triangles to accentuate the pinwheel
I adore the lightly patterned impression it leaves on the back

***
Up until the wedding I diligently quilted in bed; while watching exceptional bbc costume drama, listening to music, and bathing in the light of summer dusk. I wanted to finish it as a wedding present for Alex but too many things got in the way -

Now its my happy ten weeks of marriage present

to you my Lover;

for the happiest ten weeks
of my life

some blue from my soul.

14 comments:

  1. This is so sweet and romantic and indeed blue from your soul.
    What a keep-sake for your man, whom I am so confident adores you and now that quilt. :)

    It turned out so beautiful too, just as you!

    I see Miss Mavis..yeahh!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its pretty perfect...it will make you have happy and calm dreams. Im very sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on such an accomplishment! It's good for me to see you realizing so much joy and insight in such lovely physical forms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I am so in awe of this beautiful quilt! I have trouble sewing a button on! This will be an amazing heirloom one day x

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice! i can imaging how soft it is

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous: such soul, such beauty.

    xoxoxox,
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love every bit of it. How romantic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So wonderfully crafty...loverly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo *breaths in* Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love every stitch. Specially when it covers us both... Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is incredible :) I wish i could sew well enough to do something like this. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, gorgeous. It's brilliant, and I love that its so very you :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.