9 Mar 2010

Wedding Morning

Its hard to know where exactly to start in telling you about our wedding day.

It was, in all expressions of the word, beautiful.
After weekends of rain and humidity the weather was bright and sunny, and there was a cool refreshing breeze. I woke up before everyone else and stretched in silence for twenty minutes or so before my friend (and coolest hairdresser alive) Claire rang the door bell. She did her best to make me feel retro by putting my hair up in big rollers (Its always been a desire of mine to learn how to put in rollers properly and do it more often) I requested a soft and wavy 50s look.
There were so many precious moments throughout the morning - like mum making the final adjustments on my dress - she hand-stitched the five yoyos (or "sufflok puffs" for Miss Alice) I made out of the silk taffeta we used for my bodice and underskirt. They were a scream! Particularly the way they started to explode and fall off through the course of the evening!! But for the few hours they did stay on it was totally worth it! My dress itself was precious, not just because of how it felt or looked, what it was made out of, what it represented, or even what it was being worn for, but because it was made so tenderly and so lovingly by my mother. It really deserves a blog post of its own so I'll stop raving now.
There was my curiously insatiable hunger whereby I needed three separate breakfasts (cold porridge, toast with honey and fruit in that order)
And feeling completely calmed and entertained by my glorious sister Madeleine and my dear friends Jess and Sabella.
There was the various pampering, and being able to sit in my favourite spot in the house - on the back patio lounge - and nestle my laptop my knees for a little blogging.

The quiet prayers, nervous smiles,
rumbling tummy, deep breaths,

The final mad rush where we actually realised we didn't have lots of time anymore and needed to get changed and out the door quick smart.
And then there was the ride to the church with my mum and stepdad in a 1957 cream Bentley (the girls got a 1957 Chevrolet). It felt so curious and exhillarating to be driving up familiar roads and stopping at well-known traffic lights, to be heading towards my church; but this time to marry my beloved man.

I held my mother's hand so tight. The tightest I probably ever have. I remember her gentle words, and her giving me a dainty silver ring that she had been given as her first engagement ring years and years ago.

This is one of my favourite portraits from the whole day. My stepdad Philip took it in the brief moments I was standing by the road.

I love the sun on my shoulders, and that I'm framed by the ever-busy King Street and the indie cinema across the road. I love that you can see my whispy and wonderful bouquet comprising my three beloved flora (including the hydrangeas I "picked" from a person's front garden the afternoon before)

More than anything I think it captures how serene and full of love I felt in those moments before I walked inside.

14 comments:

  1. soo lovely, thank you SO Much for all these posts. i wished so badly to express my love for you by bearing witness to your commitment, but i will continue to do this from afar.


    oh, and i am SOOO glad you're back. i missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need more!..This is awesome and yes, just totally seems beautiful!
    Wow, i've been inside that church and its lovely to think that you actually got married there. There is such a beautiful contrast between the business of king street and you in a white dress just about to get married.

    love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh and can i just say, your sister is soooo gorgeous!(you must have passed down some of your own;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a wonderful post! A very special morning and day! A big congratulations to you and Alex!
    Love Martine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning. And so beautiful. I feel so priviledged to have been there my beautiful (and seemingly quite ravenous!) friend! I can't wait to see more photos.

    And you must tell me about that beautiful nighty (?) you're wearing in those photos.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simply beautiful! All the happiness to you and Alex

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I've been waiting for this! Wow, looks like such a beautiful day! I need to see more of the dress please!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I missed your blog posts while you were away, and am so happy to read about your wonderful wedding! I wish you the very, very best.

    I hope to make my own wedding [only 65 days away] as lovely as your's seems to have been.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your wedding. I must say your blog, sketches and musings are almost as beautiful as you are. I enjoy visiting here immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really DO wish I could have been there.
    You looked lovely!
    Now where are the photos of the groom, your ladies in waiting and your ten tiered cake??!!!!!!!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can see why the photo of you on King street is your fav. You look stunning :-) Thanks for sharing your day with us. Everything was so beautiful and I can feel the love from across the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm finally back on the computer and reading so slowly, so carefully through these wedding posts, trying to soak up all the joy and beauty osmotically through my screen.


    It's so absolutely gorgeous.


    It feels exactly like you.


    I can imagine that sun on my shoulders and the little nibble of honey on toast.



    ok, next post...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.