2 Feb 2010

A Whiff of Whimsy

On Sunday (I wore my purple best)
we held a little gathering of women to celebrate my upcoming nuptials to a beautiful man,
a moment or two to drink iced tea,
eat delicious things,
and dabble in what I love best;
whimsical craft -

I had so many ideas of handmade decorations for the wedding but not enough light or hours in the day to do them! I found all the tutorials online and my sister Lucinda helped me test some of them out in advance.

In one afternoon of whimsy we manged to get a good deal done:
We made 80 or so paper cones out of old music paper
(for nibbles and popped corn at the reception)
And pinwheels (or whirligigs as I prefer) for the children to wave
Cut out felt leaves for leafy garlands to hang around the church
Also cut triangles for a special bunting to hand outside at the reception
My brother (OK, so not ALL women) and his lovely fiance Eldora made big and small paper cranes that will be strung up in garlands
And mum coordinated the making of tissue paper flowering vines and pomanders.
The highlight was really just spending time with ladies I love; debating literature, sharing womanly wisdom, all with busy crafting hands - sigh - it was brilliant and so relaxing.
My sister Maddy made all the delicious food (homemade dips, rice paper rolls, quiche and chicken sandwiches) and I made my favourite cake for desert:
I will be joining hands and hearts with my man in just 18 days,
and I cannot tell you how happy that makes me;
(You should see my smile when I fall asleep)
And while he and I love little details,
and will enjoy stringing up decorations that we and our loved ones have made
its all just icing on a day
that marks the rest of our lives.

p.s. and Kitten wanted you to know she slept in our off cut box.

19 comments:

  1. What a brilliant day it would have been!

    Wish I could have been there, and perhaps Emma too!
    You have told the tale of the afternoon beautifully, so now I feel almost as though I were there. I love afternoons like this with family and close friends (who are often also family...)

    I cannot believe it's so soon until the day! And I agree with your sentiments about icing, and the rest of your real life together - that one is a frame to merely decorate, and outline, the other.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a great day my love. I'm sure it will be a wedding with a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh, I don't think that I realized just how quickly your special day was approaching! I am so thrilled for you!! Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! How much do I love thee?

    I adore that purple dress for startes. And your music cones!!!!! I ADORE the music cones!!!! And your beautiful friends... and family....

    I'm so glad you had a lovely time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! AND CANNELLE!!!!!!!

    I must try some one day:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your plumb love gives me goosebumps.

    I am sooo SAD not to be there.
    SO sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh! I forgot to say how much I LOVE!!!!

    ...your purple best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOOOOOOOOOO farout....too much amazingness. what a wedding this will be! with so much beauty and little details.

    I love the photo of everyone concentrating on what they are making and creating together.
    And of course...purple! love.

    I wish you the best with this totally inspiring life of yours, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. whimsical indeed!

    by the bye, LOVE the purple number...too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What a wonderful party! I love the beautiful things you made for your wedding and your cake was beautiful! 18 days! Yay!
    :) Love Martine

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I'm looking forward for that even 18 days from now! :)
    I also would like to say that I LOOOVE the idea of coning the old music lyrics and putting stuffs in it. Great Job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. ...now it's...SEVENTEEN...days to wedded bliss...





    FYI: word verification: wring!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Emily, it is going to be such a beautiful wedding. You are indeed blessed to have met your soul mate at such a young age. I often wish i had gotten married earlier so my husband and i could have grown together. But we got married at the right time for us.

    Wishing you all the best. Can't wait to see photos from the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What beautiful crafting and baking!! You must be SOOOO EXCITED by now! It all looks so pretty. I am also going to create all our prettiness for our wedding, a personal touch is just so special and you have some lovely ideas here.

    Kitty seems to have the right idea there too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, I made the chicken sandwiches, not Maddy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. GOSH! what a gorgeous dress.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know you did anon (mum) thank you so much, and for everything you did and do x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! So clever! The wedding looks as though it will be *amazing* and very very pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.