18 Dec 2009

Sailing the seas: the invites

Something else that has been occupying mine (and Alex's) time of late has been our nuptial invites. We decided we wanted to do a collaborated illustration for them - and while it started like this - we ended up choosing our second attempt.

It was strange for me to work in black ink-tipped pens but I soon found myself curling waves and shading leaves with joy. Mostly though, I just thought about what an honour it was to be creating beside such a handsome and talented man. And he really is. How awesome is his ship! And those gusts of wind! We wrote a little story to go with it; and I hope to put it up on here in the next little while.

In the meantime here's some elements of our invites I love:
Having them printed on a selection of soft and musky hues, and pairing fronts and and backs in into a random assortment.
The leaf cutter we used for details on corners and envelopes - and that Alex had employ his muscle power with because it was so stiff on cardboard! I think the leaves add something so special... They speak of our shared love of trees and of our reception which will be outdoors surrounded by them.
The envelopes we bought in recycled paper in three different brown shades, and using nib and blue ink to personalise and address each one. It really felt like I was inviting each person solemnly and lovingly from my heart.

More than anything I love that these are invites to our wedding. That my name appears next to his. That we have been able to design and put them together ourselves, and that in nearly two months I will be able to wake up beside my husband.

So to those near and far -
expect something brown and inky in your mailbox soon!

10 comments:

  1. Wow, there are so many things i love about these invitations.......That you handmade them together instead of buying the already made ones, The fact that you used recycled paper, the amazing and beautiful drawings that you both put together and how they represent you both coming together as well, and the love you both share for trees represented with the leaves......

    LOVE it! perfect little details. I just cant wait to hear more news of your planning.
    I sincerely wish you have the best of time dear Emily.
    love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Emily! They are so lovely; even better than the first attempt, although I'll agree it is a bit weird seeing your work in black. 'Tis no less fabulous however!

    I can't wait to see them first hand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are one talented woman Emily! Your wedding invitations are so beautiful! Well done!! Not long now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. they are just beautiful. interestingly enough, your wedding date is the very day steve and i leave from saskatoon on our way to new zealand!! it's a great date ;)i hope it's as wonderful and magical a day as ours was; i know it will be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH LOVES!

    Emily! They are perfect! They look like you, but not you alone, they're whimsical but serious all at once and personal, so personal.

    If they are any indication of the wedding to come, well, it will be unlike any other!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the labor of love...

    they're oh-so charming!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh thank you sweet ladies, so glad you like them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emily, these are amazing! So beautiful and the cut out leaves . . well, they're just delightful and so you! I'm so glad you can create together, that is such a blessing x x

    ReplyDelete
  9. To say I LOVE these is a terrible understatement indeed. Well done, spring chickens! Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.