23 Oct 2009

Food for thought

Lets talk about food cravings. Or just food in general... As many of you would have picked up about me on this blog I like to prepare food and I like to eat it. A lot.

I always find it so fascinating to hear and read about the particular things that people crave to eat and the way they eat them; does it reveal our innermost truths? does it change depending on where we live? or the foods we grew up on? does it change with the seasons? or with our hormones? why do we crave food that isn't good for us and vice versa?

Its quite astounding when you think of how varied edibles are in the world - and how many different ways one single thing can be prepared and eaten. I know that my body responds best to fresh, unprocessed foods - and because I have a slow liver I've become more conscious of what I'm taking in. The other great thing about fresh whole food is that you actually get to prepare it. My rule of thumb as a lover of good food (and as an artist) is to eat lots of different colours in fruit, vegetables, legumes, grains, nuts and spices.

Yes. Our eating habits and our personal tastes are strange and unpredictable things.
For example, here is a list of things I regularly crave to eat:
-rolled oats (or oatmeal as some of you called it)
-plain unsweetened yoghurt
-fresh berries
-saffron-infused rice
-dark bittersweet chocolate
-ruby grapefruits
-avocados (with a spoon)
-freshly baked gingerbread
-almonds
-olives of all kinds
And a list of things I am HUGELY craving at this very moment:
-dried fermented olives
-seaweed powder tea
-tapioca pudding
-peal or "bubble" tea (mostly for the tapioca pearls)
-stewed rhubarb

(eaten today for second breakfast)

The strangest thing I've craved to eat, aside from dried fermented olives, would have to be raw cabbage leaves on linseed bread when I was 10 years old. To everyones disappointment that desire only lasted 3 minutes of one school lunch break - got half way through my sandwich and decided I'd rather be eating soggy vegemite and cheese (which I guess for all non-Australians vegetmite has to be a pretty insane food to crave but it is SO good)
And if I could be any food for a day I would be - either a bowl of green sicilian olives, a warm quince tarte tatin, chewy ginger cookies, or a cold spanikopita...

My questions for you are:
1. What do our food cravings say about us?
2. What do you regularly crave to eat?
3. What about at this VERY moment?
4. What's the strangest food you've craved?
5. If you could be any food for a day what would it be?

Happy Friday to you!
I'm off to eat some dried fermented olives...

7 comments:

  1. Dried fermented olives? When you come up to Mudgee we'll send you off with a heap. I love them too!

    Strangest food I've craved to eat?

    Seaweed perhaps, or anchovy paste on white bread like I used to have on sandwiches.

    Maybe I'd like to be an apple because I love the way I eat them?

    At the moment I have a stomach cramp but I often crave Pfeffenause biscuits (the gingerbread with white outsides) and tea! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now, apples and just-peanuts peanut butter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, food! Food is seriously one of the best things in the world!

    strangely, i don't usually really crave things; but i am loving almond butter, date paste, greens,( and those those three combined to make wraps/rolls) pumpkin, sweet potato, apples (any fruit really, I am a fruit head :) ) and yea...think thats about it......OH and CAKE! :) and homemade cookies :)

    Whole foods, fruits and veges are THE best, would not be able to live without them!
    I am so strange, not many people my age eat like me :)
    Oh well its their loss! ;)

    dried fermented olives? wow, ive never tried them and cant wait to!

    mmmmmmmmmmmmm food.........

    ReplyDelete
  4. REGULAR CRAVINGS - Steamed spinach drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette (BC claims our wok smells permanently of spinach)
    Pomegranates
    Sliced Avocados on Club Crackers
    Pot Stickers
    Supa-dark chocolate yogurt cookies
    This imported New Zealand red licorice that I LOVE

    CRAVING NOW - well now that I wrote about those cookies...

    STRANGEST FOOD - Marinated, salted plums

    FOOD I'D LIKE TO BE - The whole fig tree - that way I'm made of delicious figs AND I get to have monkeys playing in my hair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there,

    I'm not a regular reader of your post, but everytime I looked at your blog, I'm very astounded by every pictures you take.

    Very highly commended.

    If you're here in the Philippines, you'll be famous. Like very.

    -Robb

    ReplyDelete
  6. My food cravings probably say that I`m not getting enough nutrients from what I eat even tho I try to eat healthy.

    I regularly crave ice cream but strangely haven`t for awhile. It`s probably because I`ve had a bad cold and the ice cream would simply make me more congested.

    At this very moment, I`m craving nacho chips - just the chips not with guacamole or anything topping wise.

    The strangest food I`ve craved lately is probably boiled tripe.

    If I could be any food for a day I`m not sure what that would be. May a nice juicy fruit like an orange or a berry.

    I`ve looked in on this lovely post a few times because I drool over your food photos. I really wish I knew you so I could get invited to dinner, snacks a picnic :-) Your family and friends are blessed to know you. Not just for your culinary skills but for all your lovely qualities.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i absolutely crave sushi, all the time, escpecially right after ive eaten it, i want more and more. i love its texture and the taste,
    the smell bothers alot of people, but i also love it. i love food, and i want to try new thngs all of the time. so if you have any suggestions id love to hear them, you sound likie you know your way around food, and id like to learn more about food. so if youd like, please do! and please, coome read my blog, i just started.
    charleyfood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.