12 Oct 2009

Le petite creme



My first attempt at creme brulee,
with stewed rhubarb at the bottom -
it was smooth and creamy and sweet and caramelly and tart all at once.

My love and I savoured it in the sepia light of dusk -
after an afternoon of raking and sweeping up
the leafy debris of the wild Sydney weather of late.

Creme brulee is one of my most loved deserts
(along with tiramisu, a bowl of fresh raspberries, and dark dark chocolate)
the memory of the creme brulee I gently tapped with my spoon
in Paris with my brother two years ago 
is still firmly planted in my memory. Sigh.

I was surprised at how easy it is to make,
and how many variations there are... I mean you really can't go past vanilla but there was something so brilliant about the rhubarb and how it adds a lovely tart tone. I'm thinking next time it'll be a violet one.

2 egg yolks
3o grams caster sugar
300 ml heavy cream
seeds scraped fresh from a vanilla bean, or 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
stewed rhubarb (I did mine a couple of days before with pear)
demerara sugar

~Whisk egg yolks and sugar together until pale and creamy.
~In a small pot heat cream and vanilla until boiling point. Add a little of the hot cream to egg mixture and whisk to combine; transfer to the remaining cream and stir over medium heat until custard coats the back of a spoon. Careful not to let the mixture boil over!
~Spoon rhubarb in four ramekin dishes (about 2 tablespoons each). Pour custard on top and transfer to fridge to chill overnight.
~Next morning sprinkle a heaped teaspoon of the raw sugar on each ramekin (I sprinkled a bit too much sugar on mine!) and grill in the oven on hottest grill-setting until sugar is caramelized. Be careful not to burn it. You could use a fan-dangled-torch-a-magig if you have one too.
~Transfer cremes back to the fridge and chill before serving, 
with a loved one 
in the breeze...

8 comments:

  1. Oh, wonderful! I can see the two of you raking and sweeping and then tucking into such a beautiful dessert, such is a perfect life. I am fortunate enough to know that life too - we know we're blessed and give daily thanks.

    God bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share your love of creme brulee but have never made it. Your post gives me encouragement to try it. The photos are good enough to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the saint's specialties is his creme brule. he romanced me with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a huge fan of creme brulee because they tend to be terribly eggy and a little plain but yours looks worth an attempt! Divine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm! What a fabulous colour!
    I've heard that can be the tricky part.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOooooooh, mmmm looks smooooooooth :) i wouldnt mind raking leaves if thats what you get at the end of your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. AHHHHHH!!!!!! Creme brule.
    My favorite.
    My VERY favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmmmmm, we'll have some more of that thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.