18 May 2009

Four Notes on Baking


This is not what a sourdough starter should look like.
The weather has been too cool for it to ferment properly -
instead its sprouted a rather wintry forest
of icicles and snow-covered pine...
I know its just mould (and its heading straight for the compost)
but I find something beautiful,
and delicate about it...
I am convinced that
the greatest morning smell
is of freshly baked bread.
We packed in our dreams for sourdough (for the meantime)
and make a yeasty Rye with Caraway.
(It lasted three hours)

Green Tea Tiramasu is interesting;
and it tastes much better than it looks -
but it doesn't come close to the old fashioned kind;
(spoonfuls of coffee, cream, cocoa dust and a drizzle of tiamaria in one)
The best pick-me-up-eat-me-and-feel-better cookies are these ones; chocolate, almond and olive oil - they are soft and chewy and delicious - and that faint aroma of olive is mysterious and warming.

Pick-me-up-eat-me-and-feel-better Chocolate, Almond and Olive Oil Cookies

1 large egg
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup olive oil (you can use sunflower too)
1/2 cup plain flour
4 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 cup self-raising flour
1/3 cup chopped blanched/slithered almonds
1/3 cup of dark chocolate (70% +), chopped

In a bowl whisk together egg, sugar and oil until combined. Sift in flour and cocoa and stir to combine. Mix in almonds and chocolate and stir well. Using your hands shape tablespoons of dough into balls and place onto lined/greased baking tray about 5cm apart. Bake in a moderate oven - 180'c - for 15 minutes and cool on a rack.

It should make around 10 large-
ish cookies - I usually double recipe! And no, they don't last long either... but they are so delicious.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, man... either of two things have just got to happen: I come over there and eat your feelgood cookies OR you come over here and make them for me!

    Autumn blessings to you, dear Emily!

    Love,

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh! swoon............ one of my new aims in life is to make those cookies (soon) yummmmmmmmmmm....... i am very hungry now, thanks a lot ...........;)
    i wish i could make them now, but ive got to go amd study for a science exam which is tomorow :(
    oh and i wish i could make bread that beautifully, deliciously.......

    have a pleasant and delicious week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to make these cookies, i love olive oil. to taste it in a cookie?..interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.