8 Apr 2009

House Days

Do you know the days when all you want to do is lounge around the house? And you end up wearing your pajamas past lunch time because you're so comfortable and soft and free to not be hemmed in by tight-fitting jeans and pantyhose. Yes, I've been having a lot of those days lately but I'm sick of wearing plain black pants - that's when I came up with the idea of crafting house pants! I've been collecting soft woven cotton (above) for some months now with the intention of whipping up a couple of pairs. After all, because you're at home, you should be able to get away with whatever ridiculous colour and patterns you like. I for one am looking forward to grooving around the house playing The Who (on vinyl) in stripes.
Making house pants is ridiculously easy (and only uses about a metre of fabric). I made my own pattern by taking an old pair of pajama pants - that I got when I was 14 and are way too short - but fit me everywhere else. I laid them out over butchers paper and carefully drew the front and back like so:
When cutting the fronts and backs of your fabric make sure you allow 1/4 inch for seam allowance. Then by placing fronts onto backs (with right sides facing) sew up each side. Then sew up the bottom + front - stopping at the curve... then sew one big U from the ankle of one side up to the crotch and then down to the other. I did a simple hem on the ankles and attached elastic to the top:
And Voila! You have a simple and easy way to brighten your days at home - keeping those legs warm and adding a little pzazz to your step (whether you be cleaning, yogaing, mowing the lawn, or contemplating life)

6 comments:

  1. Ohh..I am inspired - your around the house pants look super comfy!! I hope they are great for dancing around in too:)
    Love Martine

    ReplyDelete
  2. House pants!!! These are amazing. I might have to dig out my sewing machine and.. er.. LEARN HOW TO USE IT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those fabrics are gorgeous. I'm trying to find my pants pattern to make some for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hiya -- I'm going to include a photo from your blog in my Fawned Friday post this week -- let me know if that's not cool!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.