10 Mar 2009

Where the Bees Sing of France


As soon as I saw this recipe on the Traveller's Lunchbox I knew I had to do it. About 19 months ago my brother and I went to France; we stayed in Paris for a week and we spent another week staying with a dear friend of mine in her little town which is near Augouleme (For those who are curious) and is about half way from Paris to Bordeaux. It was on a day trip to Bordeaux that I tried my very first Cannele - small, soft, custardy and smelling so sweetly of rum and vanilla beans... So I nearly fell over with excitement when I stumbled across this recipe; the possibility of recreating something so delicious. And with 10 egg yolks, beeswax and over three hours in the oven it is not for the faint hearted. Not one little bit!

Still biting into now reminds me of all the fun Sam and I had in the little-known and rural France.

Running in fields of sunflowers, eating parts of animals (pig's ears, feet etc) I would never have dreamed of, and spending a night out in the clover field of a farm where her friends were having some scout-related camp out - we made a bonfire and danced and sung - a very unusual experience for Sam and I as we spoke (and sung) no French!
But how could I forget our last night - when my friend took us out in a little rowboat along the river that ran beside her house. It was a late summer's night and I remember still the gentle movement of light rippling across the water;
the sprawling dusk
and the rising moon...

13 comments:

  1. That looks sublime! Baking isn't my strong point, so I'll just admire your photo. Love this post. Sounds like you had a lovely trip. The boat sounds divine! Being in France is like a dream. Your post reminds me of a night last October when I was in France, a night after drinking too much local wine we went for a walk in the village where I was staying, singing when I broke out into a tune of "pipi du chat" for lack of better knowledge of French, in a drunken state at least. Not my finest moment, but fun for those who were there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my! I think I might try that recipe. How rummy is it? If you'll forgive my word usage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh!! France - I love it!! that cook look amazing. I'm going to France in 2 months - so I will keep on the lookout for that yummy cake!! yum:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post. It really took me there. You're a superb story teller.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmmmm wow, running in fields of sunflowers,dancing and singing beside a bonfire, being on a rowing boat at dusk and that cake.............
    heaven on earth OR WHAT!?

    that was just lovely. All of these things are things that i would absolutely love to do, espesially running in a field of sunflowers in france, ooooh gosh yes!

    beeswax in cake? wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear Amy, Alice, Sparrow, Mme, Mikala, Mechelle, and of course Ailin - thank you always for your kind words, they make me smile so wide. I only wish I could invite you over next time I make cake and we could share all our stories of travel...

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey there Emily! thanks so much for your lovely comments!:)Martine

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've suggested to Tim that we make this. It sounds paradisical.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an incredible cake! I'm so pleased it turned out so well. And thrilled to have the mystery of your culinary need for beeswax resolved. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  10. Let me just attest to the deliciousness of the canelle - ooh la la! Tres fantastique!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think we all need to have tea at Emily's one day!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.