25 Feb 2009

Rants about life, pancakes and teapots

Firstly let me say I have been meaning to post a lot more than I have been lately. Things have been very busy especially with university starting up again next week as well! Without going on too much of rant I have felt very worn out for the last year in particular and its been dawning on me that this is my final year of my degree and so far I've been studying and working but haven't really had the time to just sit back and enjoy learning - enjoy my subjects, enjoy spending time with friends - discussing, debating - I haven't been able to spend as much time as I would have liked on my Arabic, on teaching English, but especially on my art and writing.

So in the last little while I've been worrying about it all and weighing up options of how I can change things for the better. I have decided to leave one of my two jobs and only work my one day a week - which is Friday in at the little paper and quill shop I have been working at for a year and half. Leaving my other job will enable me to take up tutoring for Arabic, spend more time on my own projects and finally have my weekends totally free... I cannot tell you how excited I am at the prospect of having Sundays off. This may or may not be the last year at university (depending on whether I take honours) but I don't want to let it slip by in a half-hearted daze - I want to engage with my studies fully - relish every moment and put in as much passion and energy as I can muster. This is me learning to let go; to say no sometimes - and allow space and time for the unexpected. I think we all need to do that sometimes.

So here's to change!

And now to those deliciously purple pancakes - or pikelets rather - that you see in the above snaps. Yesterday was Pancake Tuesday or "Fat Tuesday" - the day before the start of Lent - which was traditionally a day for using up all your dear ingredients (butter, eggs, sugar) before fasting. And while I'm not fasting for Lent I still like the idea of having some inspiration for making pancakes. This is a modified version from the Commonsense Cookery book - to make them a wonderful berry purple:

1 egg
3 tablespoons sugar
1 cup self-raising flour
1 teaspoon bicarb soda
3/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon melted butter
1/4 cup of mixed berries, blended to a pulp

Whisk egg and sugar together until light and frothy. Add sifted flour and milk (in which bicarb soda has been dissolved) alternatively - stirring slowly after each. Stir in melted butter and berry pulp. Heat a teaspoon of butter in a skillet or large flat fry pan and when hot cook spoonfuls of mixture - and flip over when bubbles appear. Repeat till all your mixture is used up. Enjoy hot or cold with maple syrup, honey, jam or even with a slice of cheese!


Also making me smile; this teapot - with a little succulent growing on top! I think it is an absolutely ingenious way of using old teapots and its giving me all sorts of ideas of a kitchen-inspired garden with old teapots and oil drums and tins and bowls with various herbs and vegetables growing out - why not reuse some of our junk instead of trashing it all!

5 comments:

  1. Way to go, Emily. Live life on purpose. Yes!

    Your teapot is lovely. It reminds me of one we had years ago, that ended up going to the local tip. A few weeks after that, a local business had a variety of 'old wares' for sale, and there, proud as punch, sitting on the shelf was my old teapot. Priced at $100 with a ticket attached that said something about an early Bushranger teapot...

    Ha! Trash and treasure...

    Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THE TEAPOT and all its succulence!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too made pancakes for Shrove Tuesday but they weren't nearly as nice as yours. I'm not much of a pancake person unless they're Grandma's banana and sugar ones. That teapot is beautiful also!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well dear CHICKIE.
    I wholeheartedly agree with you on the idea of taking your time during what might be your last year at school. Of course, I've been taking my time while getting my degree over the past 8 years:) I'm so glad that you're going to take the time to care for yourself and, well, just to care. Period.

    Loving those pancakes.
    Blueberry pancakes = My mum (and now you as well).
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi darling,

    I loved this post. It warmed my heart...

    I am so making those pancakes this week! And the teapot is heaven.

    All my love...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.