26 Feb 2009

Enter The Void

A couple of days ago I went to see Trent Reznor perform in his band Nine Inch Nails. Its the second time I've seen them and while NIN certainly is not for everyone I have fond memories of so many of his albums and his recent work - especially the instrumental work released for free on his website and as well as the concept album "Year Zero" is particularly impressive. Despite the power failure half way through the set - in which the power, lights etc went down for a good 40 minutes (only the safely lights came on) and Trent came out with a megaphone and said "I swear it wasn't us" - its a little ridiculous - it seems like every time he plays solo shows in Sydney there has to be some sort of technical difficulty. But all it all I enjoyed it a lot - and my younger sister Maddy's boyfriend caught his tambourine. So there you go!

A big highlight was Trent playing one of my very favourite songs off his first album. I love how the audience when completely quiet and it was just the haunting piano. This studio performance of it is quite beautiful and bare too:
(I should probably put a warning on that he swears once)
HERE is another of my favourite songs - also a studio performance and is really really worth checking out. I love hearing his songs before they are churned through the computer.

7 comments:

  1. My hubby has seen them preform live like 6 times or something like that. He likes to brag about it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, THAT husband of yours! I was really desperate to go this time because he has announced that this will be his last tour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds brilliant! I don't think that NIN's music ever "ages" either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh man. so jealous right now.
    I saw him in Toronto a few years ago -- so fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that NIN always play stuff off all their albums - not just the most popular or the most recent. It shows that they/he have/has respect for all of their/his music

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh so many fellow NIN fans - tis a good feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i looove nin. I wasn't a big fan of Year Zero but trent is always impressive. Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.