3 Jan 2009

For Alice (a rose in her own right)

Roses
I have never been that fond of them -
(the flower that is)
because they were so predictable
florist-favourites
scentless - in that identical half-closed state.
Till I met some wild roses
those tangly,
sweet-smelling
garden gypsies
I am in love.
I understand now why they are so dear, and so often the subject of poems and art - along with all their other numerous uses.

So it was with great joy that Alice and I accepted the job of picking the roses for NYE's dinner:


We put a big bunch on the table as decoration and used the rest to garnish homemade watermelon + rosewater summer drinks:

I am now wanting to make homemade rosewater and rose petal sorbet - A few weeks back when I was ailing I mentioned how a friend lent me some books one of which was "Rose Recipes from Olden Times" - what an absolute gem it is! Recipes for potpourris and pomanders, perfumes, sweet waters and edible treats.
Yes, I will be a very happy woman if I have a wild rosebush growing in my very own garden one day.

6 comments:

  1. I am happy that your heart has found wild roses. David Austen's are another variety that are just magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The roses look lovely, but so do you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mechelle - I have just googled David Austen roses and they are absolutely gorgeous and so full of petals!

    Fawn - *beam* thank you

    Elizabeth - you're very kind to say so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the roses.

    Though something must also be said for the foxy red shoes!!

    You've managed to find beauty again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE those roses and am now officially struck with a strong yen for spring and summertime when the rose jardin beside my house is bursting with fragrant blooms.


    Why yes! Of course! You may visit and clip as many as you like when the season rolls around!

    XO

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.