20 Jan 2009

A Winning Formula

1. Take a much-loved children's book
2. Print it onto good thick cotton
= and you get something truly
wonderous:
Oh I don't believe I've ever spent so much for two and half metres of fabric but it was irresistible. I went into a quilting store to get a ring and needles (see previous post) and came out with loads of bright fabric! The tricky thing is deciding what to use it for; it'd make a wonderful feature for an apron, bag, quilt, or even as a panel or two on a skirt - but for now I'll just wear it as is!

Thanks to ingenious inventions like Spoonflower it now possible to get almost anything on fabric - I am yet to explore getting some of my own illustrations custom made into fabric but I'd definitely love to - there is something so special about it having fabric of your own. It'd also be great to do your own fabric printing too - while lino printing is great fun I've been given a book on printing fabric using dyes, wax, flowers and other fascinating things I'd like to try.

But tell me what wonderful things/designs/illustrations you'd like to see on fabric? Or even if you've already gone about doing your own!

7 comments:

  1. Oh! I love and adore the Hungry Little Caterpillar! :) That fabric is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that fabric is so pretty and colourfull! anything that you make with it, will surely put a smile on a face because of all those happy colours!

    learning to print on fabric would be just so much fun! and i would love to have something that i have drawn myself printed on fabric.it would be so much cooler on fabric rather than on paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a find! I vote turning it into a bag/several bags/bags and aprons.
    I'm learning to silk-paint next month, I'm so excited! Maybe I'll have some pretty fabric to show you at the end of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. AHHHH!
    HUNGRY CATERPILLAR!!!!!

    That settles it. We could share a library.
    By the way, I popped something in the post for you the other day! Watch for it!


    XXXOOXOXOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. Come to New Zealand with me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! so many hungry caterpillar kindreds!

    Thats it - Ailin + Caitlin- we're going to explore fabric printing for the next few weeks! Even if we all end up making big messes.

    Dearest Plume - share a librarby we must! and I can hardly wait for a little mail from you *makes camp by the letter box*

    ReplyDelete
  7. A windhover fabric sounds wonderful... I've already started imagining the possibilities... Dresses, bags, bed sheets.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.