12 Nov 2008

You say Morus I say Mulberry

I like that silk worms will only eat Mulberry leaves.
Fancy that - deciding that in order to make super soft and shiny thread you will eat only one kind of leaf. I loved having little silk worms when I was small - I think we'd get them at school in a shoebox and fatten them up with our Mulberry tree.

Though I be no creator or spinner of silk
I still like the idea of fattening up over Mulberry trees;
(the berries that is)

A few months back I went on a number of morning walks
to the local Mulberry trees (you may remember) to pick some berries. I froze them all not knowing what or when I would use them. Then it dawned on me last night they would make a marvellous and delicious cheesecake. So I give you Mulberry and Lemon Cheesecake:
250 g wholemeal/digestive biscuits
1 tsp mixed spice
100g butter, softened
500g cream cheese, softened
100g caster sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence
zest of 1 whole lemon (2 tbsps)
1 cup mulberries at room temp (other berries will work just as well)
50g caster sugar
juice of 1 lemon

Lightly grease the base of a 20cm springform tin.

Finely crush the biscuits in a plastic bag with a rolling pin (or use food processor). Transfer to bowl and add the mixed spice and butter. Stir until all the crumbs are moistened, then spoon the mixture into the tin and press it firmly into the base. Refrigerate until firm.

Preheat oven to 180'c. Beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the sugar and beat until smooth. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in the vanilla and zest. Pour mixture into the crumb base and bake for 50-1hr minutes or until firm. Cool completely.

Meanwhile let mulberries, sugar and lemon come to the boil in a saucepan - cool for 10 minutes. Pour over cheesecake and refrigerate until firm. Enjoy!
(You may well eat the whole thing)

4 comments:

  1. Ooooh Emily! You sure know how to tempt my tastebuds.

    Mulberries have to be some of the best berries along with blackberries and elderberries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my. looks tasty tasty tasty!! how crafty you are to be making such a dessert on a weekday! i made a flourless chocolate cake this weekend that turned out fabulously, and a gluten free lemon chiffon cake that did not. i guess 1/2 ain't bad right? i'm saving this recipe for later use...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh why must I live on another continent in a different hemisphere?????

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.