19 Nov 2008

Tonight

I am unwinding,
after a long days work
and a long nights printing
(my hands are a shade of blue)
I can hear the cicadas
persistently
ringing out a night symphony
(with no expectation of applause)
The air is cool -
beckoning me out
into the breeze.
I am drinking ginger tea,
a hand resting on my stomach
feeling the gentle rise and fall
of breath.
I am reading love poems
and unwinding to myself.In the summer
I stretch out on the shore
And think of you
Had I told the sea
What I felt for you,
It would have left its shores,
Its shells,
Its fish,
And followed me.
(Nizar Qabbani)

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful thoughts. I wish I could listen to cicadas at night. Sometimes I hear the bats waking for the night just outside my window.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your poetic mind, blows mine! I love your words. You are so gifted...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i hear those cicadas.
    i was in avignon last summer and there was a great infestation of cicadas...and the heat and smells of france made me sick with envy for all who call themselves french.

    lovely thoughts today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a short nine lines to hold so much.

    That is one of my favorite things about poetry, there is always room for speculation on the stories surrounding the words, and that something as simple as "it would have followed me" is enough to break your heart.

    Beautiful. Mournful. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can anything compete with such as cool evening air, tea and poetry? Sounds like a perfect mix!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rebecca - bats are still lovely! And if you want cicadas move here!

    Mechelle, thank you for your kind words and thoughts, always.

    Mme, ah cicadas in avignon... let me dream now.

    Dearest Dove I thought you might like those words of Qabbani!

    And dear Sarah-Mechelle; twas a lovely, warming mix...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.