2 Nov 2008

By Kipfler!

Yes. That is a potato. Not just any potato - but a lovely kipfler kind. When I was down at the local grocer today buying vegetables for tonight's dinner one of the jovial shopkeepers (who are all Lebanese) was steaming potatoes and forced me to take one home to try. This is often the case when I go down there! It is one of life's great pleasures to share food with others and I think the Lebanese know all too well about hospitality and food!

(It was already steam-cooked) so I was to peel it - slice it up with fresh cucumber - and add a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt. I've never heard of this being a particularly Lebanese way of eating long kipfler potatoes but I can tell you it was absolutely delicious! The waxy potatoes and crisp cucumber with a hint of oil and salt... It was a perfectly delicious afternoon snack - and I think we shall call it "Bataata khiplar wa khiyaar".

I am a firm believer in having small, wholesome meals throughout the day - and aside from the wonders of breakfast; afternoon snacks are pretty damn fantastic and refreshing; especially when I've come home from work (having woke that morn before 6) - just to sit outside or sink into a cosy chair with with a pot of tea and unwind... That's why I've decided to have "seven days of afternoon tea" this week - much like my breakfast week - documenting each day in photographs. It'd be great if some of you wanted to take part too!

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes the simplest foods are the best, and your cucumber potato creation that I cannot pronounce looks truly delicious. =)

    Emily, I think your seven days of afternoon tea is a great idea, and I think I may join you. It will be a great way to make sure I get in some much needed me time during the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'm in for two reasons:

    1. I LOVE afternoon tea! It is the meal that gives me the energy to go on and cook dinner, bath babies, and remain human all the while each day!

    and:

    2. Any mention of Lebanese and I'm in! I was delighted to see that potato, I am so proud to be part wog!

    ...oh, I am looking forward to this week, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allison and Mechelle - what beautiful friends to share my afternoon tea week with!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.