5 Oct 2008

Mad about olives (and rhubarb)

Oh yes friends its time for yet more cooking adventures. I've been fortunate enough to acquire 3 kilograms of hand-picked Australian kalamatta olives! For the last 3 or 4 days I've been soaking them in a vinegar/water solution to draw out the salt. Now they need to marinated and stored (Please let me know if you'd like some!)
Black Olive Tapenade
2 cups kalamata olives, pitted
2-3 garlic cloves finely minced
3 tablespoons capers, drained
1/3 cup finely minced parsley
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup virgin olive oil

In a food processor or mortar combine olives, capers, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper. Slowly add the oil and mix/pulse into a coarse paste (the coarser the better I say). Taste for more seasoning if necessary. If stored in an air tight container in the fridge, this will keep for a week or two. Enjoy on a good rye sourdough!
Olive + Rosemary Scrolls
I made a basic wholewheat-honey dough and split the dough into 10 pieces; rolled them out into flattened coils, brushed them with tapenade and some fresh rosemary and rolled them up into scrolls. Brush tops with a little olive oil mixed with fresh salt/pepper/rosemary. Its important to push them close to each other and sit in a warm place for 20-30 minutes to let them rise. Bake at 200'c for 25-35 minutes or until golden.

*You could any other fresh herbs such as thyme -some chili - or even some good cheese when rolling the scrolls up for a bit more kick.

Another plant I am mad about is Rhubarb. Truly if I could live in a garden of giant rhubarb I would.. Apparently the great triangle of Rhubarb growing is in Yorkshire, England (which I was already terribly fond of) so I might just end up there. I found a good recipe for a Rhubarb Upside down cake on EatingWell - some adjustments I made were substituting corn syrup for golden syrup and halving the sugar to 1/2 cup for the cake. But truly, it was really glorious...

7 comments:

  1. It really looks delicious, but olives... eurgh. Maybe I'm just uncultured.
    I think that boy is distracting you from blogging often enough. Send him back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olives? I say Yes Please! Rhubarb? Pass the dish!

    Your cooking exploits always leave me craving time in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH OLIVES ARE MY FAVOURITE. i have 2-3 types in my fridge right now...kalamatas are a weakness of mine for sure. a dream of mine is to go somewhere like spain or egypt where there are markets sporting BARRELS full of different olives to buy in bulk...SO delicious. and getting them FRESH?! you lucky lucky girl. so jealous! i might have to make the tapenade one of these days. looks amazing!! and i'm also very very fond of rhubarb too. YUM

    ReplyDelete
  4. olives. YES PLEASE.

    those scrolls look fabulous and i am determined to make them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am expecting olive adventures from all of you now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never mind the olives.
    Rhubarb is where it's at. My very very favorite deserts are concocted with rhubarb. It's a girls best friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I do so love and appreciate every one of your comments even if I don't get a chance to reply.